Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 stone2498

stone2498

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:23 AM

I have royally screwed up my future brother-in-law's Acer Aspire 3100. I was changing the partition's with Partition Magic. I did not realize that his Acer did not provide the recovery cd's like my old one did. I have repartitioned and deleted everything. I have his files on disk, but I cannot get the operating system to load. I have tried to repartition without crossing the 1024 barrier, but all I get with each try is a blinking cursor on a blank screen. Acer wants to charge 65 dollars for the recovery cd's. Is there anything else I can do or should I just go buy Vista and install that? It says that it is Vista capable on the stickers. But it came with XP. Ihave been trying to reinstall XP but everything that I try is unsuccessful. Please Help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:59 PM

If you don't have recovery disks, then you won't be able to reload the OS (dunno if the Acer has a recovery partition tho').

If you install Vista are you sure that the apps that he likes to use will work with them? Are there Vista drivers available for the system? The answer to those questions will determine if you can upgrade to Vista without too many problems.

If not, then I'd suggest looking at http://www.pricegrabber.com/ for XP. Right now you can get the XP Home (full version) for about $80, and XP Pro (full version) for about $90. Be sure to check the seller's ratings before buying. I make it a practice to only buy from those sellers who have at least a hint of color in the 5th star of their 5 star rating system and haven't been burned yet.

Don't forget that you'll have to download all the drivers from the Acer site also - so I'd suggest doing that before you go out and buy XP (or Vista). The good thing about the restore CD's (from Acer) is that they'll have everything that you'll need on them - so they are the cheapest way to go.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 stone2498

stone2498
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

Thanks Usasmas. The problem that I have discovered with Acer is all the extra crap that no one needs that they put on their computers. That is how this entire mess began, and is the reason I was looking at buying a new operating system. Newegg.com has a Microsoft XP Home Sp2B 1PK - OEM for about $90 dollars and it comes with the coupon for the Vista Upgrade. Would this work?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:24 PM

If the OEM is a full (and not an upgrade) version, it'll work just fine. There's an excellent program called the PCDecrapifier that'll help to remove the crap from systems. It's available for free from here: http://www.yorkspace.com/pc-de-crapifier/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users