Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Making A Change; Could Use Advice On Transfer And What To Buy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:50 AM

I recently discovered my 'official' Windows XP version I have is not at all official. I am unable to download the service packs, codecs, etc. and that is just the beginning of it. I'd like to get a real version of xp and will probably buy a new hard drive to replace the 40 I have now. I have a larger hard drive for back up and storage but need something bigger for the operating system and programs. I'd like to run several programs including Office, Photoshop, DVD making, etc. I also love fonts and like to have several (billion) on hand.

What would be conservative choice, the mid range, and price is no option hard drives to consider? Also, do I have to change anything else on the computer? (motherboard)

I'll have to have someone install the drive for me but would like to clear the drive and save everything myself to avoid extra cost. Knowing that I have a second internal drive what steps do I take to save my information? I know there are probably tutorials on the web that address this but I have a difficult time understanding computer talk...sometimes. I know how to transfer photos, documents, files like that. I don't know what to do with email, settings, addresses, and others. Also, I have downloaded programs and have software that I no longer have the discs for. How do I save those?

Any ideas on brands, size, etc. of hard drive is appreciated as well as the process of getting ready.

Thanks.

Edited by tillytoo9, 22 March 2007 - 09:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:11 AM

One thing you could do would be to leave your Windows installation on the current 40GB drive and use your new drive for storage. That way you don't have to bother with transferring all your settings. You can purchase a valid product key for Windows on-line from Microsoft's website.

Also, even with a non-genuine version of Windows you should be able to install service packs and critical updates. Microsoft's policy is that they do not block critical updates to non-genuine users.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

I kind of agree with Budapest... but you stated that you wanted a larger drive for the OS.
Personally I like Maxtor, they're cheap enough and I have had few problems with them. Seagate is another option, but on the larger drives (I have a 160) it just seems slow.
You could purchase a new drive from circuit city or whatever and they'll usually install it for free.
Find and purchase program called Casper XP.
Casper is a program desinged to take the existing install from your 40GB drive and make it work on whatever drive you do happen to install
there should be no need to reinstall windows

#4 Guest_tillytoo9_*

Guest_tillytoo9_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:31 PM

I'll check out Casper. I don't understand how it works....but I'll read up on it. So, CC will install for free? Didn't know that.

I want a bigger hard drive so I can store and use more software. I'm a download junkie. Will a bigger hard drive help with speed, too?

#5 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 07:10 AM

casper is a disk cloning program specifically designed to work with XP.
It's very easy to use, basically you choose your source and destination disks and then walk away.

Usually the big electronics places will install the hard drive for you free if you ask.
But if you're going to clone the hard disk you probably want to learn how to install a hard drive yourself.
http://www.pcguide.com/proc/physinst/hdd-c.html
http://www.zdnetindia.com/help/howto/stories/13205.html
http://lifehacker.com/software/feature/hac...rive-137179.php

those links should help show you how to install a new hard drive.

Once the drive is in the system boot up.
download and install CasperXP,
run casper and it will ask a series of questions.
the "Source" disk is your current XP installation. (C:\)
the destination disk is the new hard drive.
choose copy and it will move your data over

Once the copy is done, you will want to take the new drive out and make it your Primary Master, (replace your old 40 gig drive) ensuring the jumper is set to Master.

replacing a hard drive is not that hard. you should be able to do it.

Will a bigger hard drive help with speed, too?

no

Edited by Jombee, 23 March 2007 - 07:10 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users