Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ethanol Not The Answer For America But Costing Its Consumers More Money

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:35 PM

Ethanol ahh the stuff thats supposed to clear the air and free america from foreign oil.
(on a side note did that just sound like a journalist or what??ahem back on the subject)

But is it worth it?

Do you know the facts of what it really costs to get it to you? VS gas of course.

Here are a few facts that make you change your mind before you buy ethanol.

"More than 90% of the ethanol produced in the U.S. comes from corn"

It would take more than 98% of america's land(no house lakes or tree's) to make enough ethanol
to make up for americas use of oil! It will NEVER happen with corn unless they make some new super corn
that can grow in 2 weeks and make a lot of corn!

FACT: Ethanol causes food prices to go up up up!

Our cow feed has hit rocket highs! Out the roof to the point its down right hard to make any money period!
25k a month to feed our cows grain ALONE!

As farmers jump on corn and stop growing things such as wheat things like the grain we eat and our cows eat rockets because the demand has not went anywhere but their is less of it.

Good old corn flakes....But all the corn is being used for fuel 2+2 says why its going up. Just like all the other things that use wheat and other grains.

FACT: Ethanol has 34% less BTUS per gallon

It has been said that in order to make ethanol a savings on you the consumer it would have to be a dollar a gallon less to just break even. I have not did the math use the 34% above for the math.

Yet ethanol is only 2-3 cents less than gas usually. The only thing you are doing by buying it is not sending money over seas and making yourself pay more to drive(well it does help farmer and maybe cleaner air).

This is a site antiwar.com I just found the article and it talks about why gas prices fluxuate and such.
http://antiwar.com/henderson/?articleid=8919

Really the USA does not want you to use less oil. They make tax money on it which in turn helps you.
If we all go put up solar panels tomorrow and make our own electric car energy the government will tax you somewhere else but at least the greedy oil companies wont be getting any of it.

If we really want gas prices to go down we HAVE to use less. I like using less. I got this honda civic as my first car 6 months ago. I get at least 37mpg even with the ac on and off. It takes off fast and has plenty of room like any other car. We save money and its fun.

Why drive a HUGE suv like a suburban for a family of two? Yes you can but YOU are one of the causes for high oil prices.

On a side note the news said that if america would start exercising more and loosing weight we could save billions of dollars and maybe that many gallons each year in gas.

The more weight you have to push the harder it is on the engine and the more fuel it uses.

If we REALLY want cheaper gas prices we need to DEMAND more money goes into making electric cars that work like a normal car and can be fueled in minutes at a "electric" station. New battery technologies I have been reading about show progress but there is just not a huge demand for electric cars because of their set backs.

Ethanol its good and all but unless we decrease demand or some new super crop comes out that can produce a lot of fuel for little effort we arent going to get off of fossil fuel.

Besides ethanol doesnt stop all co2 and other things that can cause global warming(unproven idea that cars do it or if its natural but we dont help any) electric vehicles would.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:07 AM

I live in the midwest, we have Ethanol at all the stations here, for 10 cents a gallon less. But you also get about 2-3 miles per gallon less. So I just buy regular. I figure I get an extra trip into town before I have to fill up and that makes it worth it, to me. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:17 AM

"More than 90% of the ethanol produced in the U.S. comes from corn"

Another odd fact -

you can eat that corn,

and it doesn't give you gas!

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 DASOS

DASOS

Malware hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 1,662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:24 AM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:39 AM

Another odd fact -

you can eat that corn,

and it doesn't give you gas!

:thumbsup:

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:03 PM

hat was funny

But as CGM3 mentioned the result of moving the food/feed corn to ethanol supply is less corn for livestock. Hence less livestock being farmed. That result is higher priced meat this summer. The desire to grow more corn will take space from wheat. Wheat will rise in price. Ergo $ 4.00 gal gas and $3 a slice for pizza.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 08:51 PM

the fact that ethanol production is almost restricted to corn scares me. Soy also produces ethanol as well and i think it puts out more ethanol per bushel than corn

Posted Image

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:23 AM

My science teacher was telling this too us at school yesterday. He wasn't trying to put down idea's to improve the gas problem, he was just trying to inform us.

Well anyways he told us about how it takes more energy to make the corn into ethanol. Also when someone asked about solar he said a 900$ little panel would get about 100watts, and they only get about 8% efficiency. Pure electric cars would run your electric bill up way high too.He said the next best thing would be hydrogen, but the problem is it still releases carbon dioxide, but not as badly as gasoline.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

"Well anyways he told us about how it takes more energy to make the corn into ethanol. Also when someone asked about solar he said a 900$ little panel would get about 100watts, and they only get about 8% efficiency. Pure electric cars would run your electric bill up way high too.He said the next best thing would be hydrogen, but the problem is it still releases carbon dioxide, but not as badly as gasoline."

Your teacher needs to read some more because he is off a bit.

First hydrogen is NOT a new energy its a energy transporter.
It TAKES electricity to convert it into hydrogen.

Hydrogen is about 75% of the elements in the universe.
It would make no sense to convert your energy into hydrogen
to use it when you could use it as electricity.

Hydrogen is a flop until they find a hydrogen fountain/well.

Read this:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology...ry/4199381.html

It does not take more energy than it takes in to make ethanol.
It just takes more than gas because it has less power per gallon.

Electric engines are very very efficient. Electricity is like 1/10 the cost of gas. Even if you bill goes up its not only going to be cheaper than paying gas its going to be cleaner as the electric plants are a lot cleaner than a gas engine.

Solar panels do get more than 8% efficient but the really efficient ones cost more and then it becomes not worth it. You could get around 12% probably now for cheap.

900 bucks for just 110 watts would be outrageous. Solar panels are about 3-4 bucks a watt.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 24 March 2007 - 10:55 AM.

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,736 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 10:54 AM

He said the next best thing would be hydrogen, but the problem is it still releases carbon dioxide, but not as badly as gasoline.

Ask him about theabove again.

2 H2 + O2 -> 2 H2O

No carbon in sight.

Not that I recommend H2 as a new automotive fuel, it has other problems.......
Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users