Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friends New Computer Build Turns Off

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:47 PM

Well my friend is building a computer (I told him all the parts to get, so I feel responsible for it). Anyways he puts everything together and he says if he just lets it sit for a minute it turns itself off. It does this too when he's trying to install windows vista. But, if he goes into the bios is doesn't turn off, so I'm thinking it might be a certain setting on? Also, a major thing is it said for CPU temperature like 66-70 degrees Celsius. This sounds really high to me. I don't get why though, but he has 4 fans in his case and the cpu fan sits on top of the cpu. I was wondering that it might need thermal paste? I thought processors usually come with a small amount of thermal paste, which it didn't, but he tried it anyways. The troubleshooter in the manual said if this does it its most likely the processor overheating, but then it said it shouldn't be able to turn back on immediately, and the computer does.

Things he has tried: changing settings in bios (not sure if we did right ones though) tried different power supply, taking the power button off to see if it was sticking.

Well here are the parts:

motherboard

processor

If you need the rest I can list them, but it was having this problem with only the processor in and nothing else.

Also one more thing, but I live in New York and he lives in North Carolina, so I really can't help him except on the phone. Thanks for reading this really long post!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:56 PM

There should be some paste in the processor package you brought, but you can pick that up from any local computer store.

Peraonally I'd start from scratch again. Take everything out of the case apart from the basics, the motherboard, memory, CPU, HDD and graphics card. Ensure that all the parts are installed correctly and tightly connected.

Boot the computer, go into the BIOS and load up the FACTORY, FAIL-SAFE or SHIPPING DEFAULTS. Then reboot the machine, leave it on for 30mins or so. If it's still on and hasn't rebooted or crashed etc, then begin to install the OS
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:04 PM

I would never ever use a CPU without thermal paste, it is so so important. As Firecracker said start again and please please put thermal paste on the CPU after that you should not have any problems at all with the CPU :thumbsup:.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

Well I looked through the reviews and many people said they were having overheating problems until they put some arctic silver 5 on it. I guess this should solve the problem thanks!
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 teddyshooter

teddyshooter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

that sounds alot like my new computer im building matter a fact im useing same mother board and proceser and i am haveing to buy new thermal past beause the same problem happend to me

matter a fact you are talking about me

lol

#6 Sterling14

Sterling14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:52 PM

lmao, nice you made your own account. Teddyshooter is my friend that I'm talking about.

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

:thumbsup: to the board, teddyshooter.

Let's hope your cool new computer remains cool!

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users