Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1000 Songs

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rayandmaura

rayandmaura

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

I have over 1000 songs purchased from itunes. I need to do a reinstallation of XP and im wondering if anyone has any good ideas on how to best do this. I dont want to put them all on discs. I have a lap top. I dont know if theres any online storage places thatll hold that many songs and id hate to have to spread them out to a bunch of different places. Im also worried about somehow messing up the songs or the license or DRM or whatever. Id appreciate any suggestions. Thanx -RAY

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:37 PM

Go buy a hard drive, transfer your songs, reinstall your os on your old hard drive,,, copy the songs back to the old hard drive,, then take the new hard drive back to the store.

#3 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

I have a laptop and im wondering what id need besides the new drive. Ive installed drives on a desk top pc before but never a laptop. So is there a cable that comes with the new drive that just connects to my laptop? Would it be through a usb port ? Im sorry if this a stupid question and I hope someone can helpand thank you Walkman for the info. RAY

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:21 PM

The best thing I can think of is for you to invest in an external hard drive. Hook it up to your laptop, move or copy your songs to it. After you format your laptop, COPY them back over. Don't move them, let the external drive be a backup drive. If your laptop drive ever crashes and has to be replaced, you'll be glad you have the backup. Just make sure you back up on a regular basis.

#5 lilmama

lilmama

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

Walkman: :thumbsup: ?????????

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:34 PM

Queen-Evie said it better than I could.

But that would work fine, and perfectly too.... and if you want to keep the drive... (which you should), then you're on easy street. But if you don't have the finances to keep the drive... do as I suggested.

I'm sorry for not mentioning it,,, but get an external hard drive. It will connect through your USB port.

You'll be able to back up your data/songs within a few minutes of connecting it to your computer.

But I do recommend you get either and (or) an extra hard drive, dvd burner. You will need it in the long run. I am guaranteeing you it.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:58 PM

One thing you can do-look at the websites of places like Circuit City, Best Buy, Office Depot, Wal-Mart, etc. that are in your area for external hard drives. This will give you an idea of what's available and how much they cost.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:52 PM

External hard drives are great! You can get them pre-assembled, or in a "kit" by buying a USB drive caddy and a hard drive to put in it. FWIW - If you use a 3 1/2" hard drive (the desktop size) you'll need a separate power supply to power it (comes with the drive caddy). If you get a laptop drive caddy and a laptop drive, it'll be powered by the USB port, so you won't have an extra cord to lug around.

I've got a 120 gB W-D Passport (the 2 1/2" kind) that cost me about $120 a couple of months back and it's come in very handy many times!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 rayandmaura

rayandmaura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:13 PM

Im gonna take your advice and go get the external drive, transfer the songs and take the thing back. Then ill start looking on ebay for a good one to get and keep. Thank you all for your advice.-- RAY

#10 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

You can buy one locally instead of buying it on eBay.

Buyer Beware!!

#11 HaroldB

HaroldB

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:02 AM

I have just less than 900 mp3 songs from my purchased cd's. They take up a bit more than 4 gigs. Wouldn't take much of an external hard drive to hold them all, as well as any other data files you may need to back up. You can pick up a great 40 gig drive a NewEgg from $60 to $100 and about $20 more for each increase in 20gigs. Believe me, when yu find what a great stress reliever they can be, you willl want to have one around you all the time....

#12 DanC1186

DanC1186

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

Go buy a hard drive, transfer your songs, reinstall your os on your old hard drive,,, copy the songs back to the old hard drive,, then take the new hard drive back to the store.

Many stores will not take back an opened (esp. a used hard drive. I would just hang on to the second harddrive, use it for backup

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:04 AM

Ask about the return policy before purchasing, Dan is correct that you may not be able to return it.
Look for one that has a rebate, even though you have to wait a few weeks to receive the rebate check,
in the end the drive will not cost much at all.

Example-a 250gb Western Digital External Hard Drive from Circuit City

$149.99 with a $20 instant savings and a $50 rebate-final cost would be 79.99
(plus tax). Not a bad deal at all, and you will be able to back up on a regular basis.

The first time you have to use after a drive crash or a system recovery, you'll be glad you have it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users