Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most Effective Way To Get Rid Of Norton

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bernie70

Bernie70

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:04 PM

I'm preparing to uninstall Norton from my father's computer and even though I've successfully uninstalled it on my computer using the Bleeepingcomputer instructions (using the symNRT tool), I've seen some other methods like the Norton_Removal_Tool.exe program found here.

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

This might not have existed since I uninstalled Norton on my computer. Or are these methods the same?

I've also noticed I could try the regular Windows Uninstall method in Control Panel.

I really don't want to mess up my father's computer which is why I am posting. thanks for your experiences.

EDIT: I've read some things on the Internet that the Symantac removal tool does not work. But part of my curious side wants to know hot it will work.

Edited by Bernie70, 21 March 2007 - 05:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

As far as I know the removal tools offered Here and by Symantec are the same thing.
When I removed my Norton product, I chose to to use the Tool offered here as it was less complicated.

Bernie70, if you've had success using the one posted here, you know it works and it's safe to use on your Father's computer.
Try the normal uninstall method First.
Then run the removal Tool. It will get rid of of the last bits of Norton that are left behind on the computer.

Edited by TMacK, 21 March 2007 - 06:36 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:49 PM

One thing that gets overlooked and may be the reason even running the removal tool doesn't always work, is disabling Auto Protect and Script Blocking and anything else in Norton's Options before beginning to uninstall.

As far as how it works or what it does, in simple tems it cleans up the registry more thoroughly than the regular installer. And also it reverses a protection mechanism available thru MSI, among other things.

You may still have some leftovers--I've seen the Symantec Core LC service leftover in a lot of HijackThis logs and they will usually leave folders (and maybe some files) in Program Files and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared that can be deleted manually.

You really can't tell how a Norton uninstall is going to go. From what I've seen, I'm just about ready to believe the best way to get rid of it completely is to reformat, but that may be overly pessimistic as Norton may have improved its removal tool.

Norton has also been known to mess around with the BITS service--don't know if the uninstall tool now deals with that or not. I used to have a site bookmarked about that but am having trouble finding it, but this should do: http://www.runpcrun.com/symantec-norton-removal

Papakid will check under the mattress and other cubbyholes and post back when he finds the other article.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users