Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Startup Problem (product Activation?)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Blade01

Blade01

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:12 PM

Up to this morning, Windows XP was working just fine, until Zone Alarm firewall suffered a crash. I immediately decided to restart XP, in order for the firewall to reload. As XP restarted, the "Windows Product Activation" screen suddenly popped up. The message states: "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?".

I restarted the computer, and shut it down, but the same message keeps popping up. I also attempted to go through with product activation (even though XP was already activated, two years ago), but windows does not detect my DSL connection.

Just to note, my copy of Windows XP is legal. XP came with my gateway pc in 2005, and I've been using it ever since. What solutions might there be? Also, how can I restore Windows XP to a previous state (say a few days ago).

I appreciate any help.

Thanks guys.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:23 PM

Give starting up in safe mode a go and see if you can roll back to a previous date that way. :thumbsup: Get back to us and let us know how you got on.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 Blade01

Blade01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:12 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply! XP actually loaded when I restarted in safemode. But, now what should I do from here?

BTW, I'm using my older computer (Pentium III 600 mhz) to access these forums. lol. That old PC is still good for something.

Edited by Blade01, 21 March 2007 - 05:16 PM.

#4 Blade01

Blade01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

I'm reporting back from yesterday. As it appears, my problem isn't over as yet. While I am able to start Windows XP in safemode, starting Windows normally, produces the same error: The "Product Activation" glitch keeps showing up. Well, on the bright side, at least Windows is able to start in safemode.

I tried running the "system recovery" utility to revert XP back to a previous date. However, the "Product Activation" error is still there. So that doesn't work. :thumbsup:

More suggestions are highly welcomed. Once again, Windows XP is able to start in Safemode without having the glitch. It's starting XP in normal mode that produces the problem.

#5 Baloo

Baloo

• Members
  • 243 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:32 PM

Once you get started in safe mode try running antivirus and spyware scans, your registry might have been corrupted by one of these.
When life hands you lemons squeeze the lemon juice right in his eye!

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:00 PM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890

How to activate Windows XP by phone

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows.

Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.
3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.
4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next.

Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK.
You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users