Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Rid Of Unwanted Cats(strays)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:17 PM

Okay so on the farm we have at least 30 cats and at times I have counted over 50+!

The animals you cant pet them and they do nothing but tear up things and worst of all PEE on EVERYTHING!

If anyone has ever smelled cat pee its very nasty!

We basically want them gone.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to get rid of them besides :thumbsup:

Maybe the animal control somehow?

Some could be tamed but you just cant do anything with them.

I am unsure if the pound would want so many ha ha.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

Other than the 2 methods you already mentioned, the only thing I can think of, is to get a couple of big dogs (little dogs would get eaten by the cats), that hate cats.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:54 PM

Get some BIG mice bent on revenge.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 04:09 PM

Yeah but I hate to kill them you know? I know like eating cows and deer and such it has to be done but its sad to just wipe them out.

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:14 PM

Take an ad out in the local newspaper: Farm reared cats for sale!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:19 PM

Get some hawks.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:50 PM

Did ads but picture this:

Yes this one is a nice friendly one (cat) RAWWWWWW and it runs away.

You go running around the farm with a fish net trying to catch one for a woman who just drove 30 miles for a cat.

#8 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

What I can say might not help you as I am not in the US. Do you have a local council? They may have traps you could borrow, but with such a large population, you'd probably have trouble dealing with them yourself. Do you have a cat welfare society you can call on? They could help trapping and removing them. Or contact your local vet - he or she may have some ideas or contacts to help you, or may help with euthanasia. If they are strays, some may be able to be rehomed, but if they've bred in the wild and are feral, I don't fancy your chances of rehoming them. Cats in the wild don't have an easy time of it - they fight a lot and can be infected with "cat aids" (I suppose you have that in the US). I am a cat lover, but it may be unrealistic to think that you can save these cats. Good luck.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

They are fed daily on the farm. We dont want to see them suffer by no means. So cruel it is when someone starves a dog and its so sad because we have seen it first hand and had to shoot a stray that was a health dog a few months earlier but its owner left it as he left our rented trailor. Made me very sad to see it so starved almost unreconizable to what it used to look like.

We could in time catch them all I think with a fish net.

#10 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:50 PM

We could in time catch them all I think with a fish net.

Cat bites can be quite nasty, so I wouldn't recommend catching them in a fish net - you can get special traps.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

#11 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:58 PM

We could build some if the local stray trappers would take 40 cats. The only other option is to "give them some lead"

#12 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:15 AM

CGM3 I know your problem (as i grew up on a farm). We called them Barn Cats. They aren't by any means friendly or tamable and theres not alot you can do about them as more replace the ones you get rid of. Good dogs will help keep the #'s down. Also they are probably feeding off of your grain bins so you really dont have to feed them. BB's and pelets will scare them away for awhile.

My opinion execute about half of them as they do actually help keep the Mice and Rats out of the grain bins

Posted Image

#13 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:50 AM

Hey Cowsgonemadd,

there are special (quite expensive) sprays that you can get that create a smell that repels cats from an area. Its best to get the expensive versions, cant think of the names which you probably wouldnt have over there anyway, but the more expensive ones are supposed to work quite well.

Also, lemon...APPARANTLY lemon repels cats from spraying, but it sounds like you'd need a hell of alot of lemon juice to repel them...hmm, yeah, you could buy actual cartons of lemon juice though i spose, try sticking it in a spray bottle...

This combined with some of the more permanent solutions...i know that usually animal rescue centers do transfers if they are over ridden, and they also will euthanase themselves saving you the trouble.

I wouldnt take any drastic action unless you know for sure that they wouldnt want to help you or your local authorities doesnt have some animal trapping scheme for this situation. I guess its just a matter of getting the phone book out and asking with each call if they can advise you as to who you should call next until there is nobody else.

NICE ONE :thumbsup:

nn23

Edited by nn23, 22 March 2007 - 05:51 AM.

#14 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:09 AM

We tried spray they just spray over it.
Yes these are what we call barn cats. We feed them milk and cat food daily.
Costs my grandparents about 800 a year for food.

#15 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,724 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 10:12 AM

Yes CGM, call your local animal control or humane society and explain your problem to them. Should be able to get some help.
Derfram
~~~~~~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users