Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Won't Update To Internet Explorer 7 With Spybot?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 christinaemcc

christinaemcc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:18 AM

i have been trying to clean up my computer.....

i went to the Microsoft Update website and i need to update to Internet Explorer 7.0

it goes through all the steps... the installation and download...

but after a good 5-10 minutes of trying to download it says:

the updates were not able to be downloaded

could this be due to the SpyBot program i have running?

i tried to disable it, but i have no idea how.... should i just uninstall it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:20 AM

If I were you, I would uninstall spybot and replace it with Windows Defender.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:28 PM

SpyBot's TeaTimer will not allow system changes while it is active.

Disable TeaTimer

As for dumping SpyBot for Windows Defender I say no. They are not the same.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:30 PM

If you are satisfied with Internet Explorer 6, you don't Have to download Internet Explorer 7.
To be honest..it causes many users alot of problems because it is new and there are many bugs/issues that Micro$oft has yet to work out.

Some people have problems with the download/installation.
I don't believe it has anything to with Spybot.

However, if you want to update to IE7, have a look at this article; Known Issues, Installation and Troubleshooting Advice For IE7 .

Edit;Forgot about Teatimer TheTerrorist_75. Good catch!

Edited by TMacK, 21 March 2007 - 12:34 PM.

Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:52 PM

Also try the manual approach & get the installer from here > IE7 Homepage & perform the installation yourself instead of through Windows Update.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 11:13 AM

If I were you, I would uninstall spybot and replace it with Windows Defender.

That would be the last thing I'd do.
Windows Defender Fails In New Malware Test
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:05 PM

I've used Windows Defender since it first came out and it hasn't failed me yet - despite my fervent attempts to get infected by surfing on the wrong side of the web.

Most infections (that I've seen) are commonly caused by a lack of knowledge about how you get infected rather than the failure of a particular product. Too often I hear from people who have clicked to get rid of a pop-up and they've been infected by it. Or, then next most common is getting an email from a "friend" that contains malware.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 DanC1186

DanC1186

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:17 PM

SpyBot's TeaTimer will not allow system changes while it is active.

Disable TeaTimer

As for dumping SpyBot for Windows Defender I say no. They are not the same.

I've read that the two can be used simultaneously. Personally I just use teatimer, I've never had any trouble with it.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:07 AM

My wife uses them together without any problems also. But TeaTimer gave me so many headaches that I had to remove it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 11:11 AM

To me TeaTimer is good for those who click on something withhout thinking. I have seen too many times where someone believes what they see and want to try it then not realize they are downloading malware that alters their registry.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users