Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

6,000 Kb/s To 120 Kb/s In An Instant

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 shootertec

shootertec

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:16 AM

WOW!
Okay, I'm a grad student at Sul Ross University. About three weeks the school installed a bandwidth limiter to slow down peer to peer, but not hurt http surfing.

Software company http://www.cymphonix.com/index.php

However my internet (http) surfing is dead. Speedtest.net results prior to install 5,000-6,000 kb/s and now I get 120 kb/s. IT has tweeked the software and opened the pipe up, but still nothing here. Others in our building have complaind, however thier internet is just slower then normal, but not really that bad.

Mine - takes 20-40 seconds to load a page.

After two weeks of calling IT, having them here in my apartment, cleaning my machine, reseting the port, switching my Cat5 cable, and even trying switching to FireFox...my internet connection is the same (insert $%&@). Our IT has reset the cymphoonix system and nothing.

Here is the kicker. Other ports in our building work wonderful. (Brand New building if important) Outside laptops can be hooked up in my room and speed test result 2100 kb/s and better. ?!?!?! W.T.F.???

Here is the other kicker! We hooked my wife's laptop up and it ran great too.

Another Kicker!! (Last One!) When I went home for Spring Break I took my computer. We have Cox cable at home. My computer ran perfectly and had speed tests of 5,000+ kb/s.

I don't know anything about computers, but I've been fighting this mess for several weeks now so now not only do I know every IT personally but I feel like I'm having to learn about networking so I can find my own solution.

Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 shootertec

shootertec
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:45 PM

Answer? The head IT guy doesn't even know!

However I was assigned my own dedicated "something" and it's back 100%, actually 140%!!!

Too bad for the other people in our building. They still have 100kb/s internet, while I have 6500 kb/s! No joke!

My mom taught me, if you don't care for yourself, no one will.

So for all the people (students) in our building that can't figure out how to report a TECH ticket and get their internet fix, heck with them. After two plus weeks of not having internet, I just can't be happier! Plus HOLY COW, it's so damn fast!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users