Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Got 2gs For A New Comp

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 duck11

duck11

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:22 PM

ok so i have $2000 and im wanting to buy a sick gaming computer with good graphics and a good processor. I need advice as to what I should get and whether or not i should get vista or xp. I found this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...0&CatId=114 and it looks about like what I want but i want some suggestions. I dont wanna order from tigerdirect but thats an example of what i want. Thanks

Edited by duck11, 20 March 2007 - 11:27 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:37 AM

Do you have a moniter already, or do you want a new one? Also, I suggest custom build one, since they would be a much better deal. And one more thing, American currency or Canadian?

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary Quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 21 March 2007 - 12:49 AM.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:51 AM

Detox,

When replying to a post, don't use the Quote button under the post, unless there is something specifically in the post, that you want to quote.
Either use the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or use one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 01:19 AM

Sorry, force of habit.

#5 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 08:58 AM

i'm with detox on this one. i would highly recommend building instead of buying. that computer isn't really bad, but i'm pretty certain you could make one comparable to that for under that price.

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:08 AM

It all depends what you want to do with it. On a first glance i would suggest a DVD writer which is blue ray competible over a 18x writing speed. especially for writing movies that is far too much and you will never use it.

I also would stay away from Vista unless you have some knowledge on computers, since Vista is still in the "beta Phase". the good thing for them is that the users are doing a paid beta testing.. :thumbsup:

#7 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 10:17 AM

I would agree with Detox and dogslikeus, you can save $$ and get more of what you want by going with a self build.

What pieces do you already have? Monitor, keyboard/mouse, speakers?

The computer looks pretty smokin', but for that much cash you might be able to build a better rig for your purposes.

What brand is the power supply? Does it have a 12V rail you can use solely for the gfx card (and what is its amp rating)? What about a modular cabled PSU for max airflow/cooling?

You are probably going to need more than two fans for that system, in order to really keep it cool at full load.

Maybe you will want to get one of the hard drives at 10k rpm and the other at 7200. That way you can load the OS on the 10K, system will run faster.

What brand of RAM is it? RAM is one of the parts you want to go with time-tested name brand.

Just some thoughts I had after reading your post and checking out the computer.

Edited by blueandgold04, 21 March 2007 - 10:18 AM.

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users