Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Friend Hears Rumor About Free Download To Install Windows 98 Se

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 roseredd

roseredd

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:54 PM

Hi there everyone! I'll try to be as brief as possible...

A friend of mine is trying valiantly to help an elderly lady we both know get a new printer since her old one has died. She had a dinosaur printer, of course, and was still running windows 98 (actually, she was using 95, but my friend gave her his old 98 disk he no longer uses).

Unfortunately, he said, any new printer he could get her will not work with her 98 (I have no info on that statement, as I cut my teeth mostly on XP myself), so he wants to upgrade her OS to Windows 98 SE. He told me that this is possible due to a free download from microsoft.com (which I most seriously doubt, since Microsoft has not in the past seemed the type of company to give OS's away), which he was wondering if I could find and download since I have high-speed internet.

We are all concerned with going about all this legally- no fishy downloading attempts here. As I said before, I think he was misinformed, but I did search through Microsoft pages and google, and finally decided to ask the fine folks here.

Any info is greatly appreciated, as I would like to get an answer to him soon as possible. Thank you!

-Heather

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:28 PM

Never say the words "free" and "Microsoft" in the same sentence. That is an inherent contradiction!
Microsoft has never and will never make any OS available for download. We all know Bill better than that!
If you could find a copy for download it would be bootleg, possibly crippled somehow or virus laden.

You are right about printers though. 98SE is the minimum supported, if that.
Microsoft did release a 98SE updates cd at some time. I know this for a fact because I have it.
You might check EBay for that. I bet you can pick it up pretty cheap.

I have heard that you can install 98SE on top of 98 and it works.
Never tried it though
In the beginning there was the command line.

#3 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:31 PM

Never say the words "free" and "Microsoft" in the same sentence. That is an inherent contradiction!

Actually, Microsoft supplies a lot of free stuff.

So, I'd say - "Never say "never", I know I never will."

:thumbsup:

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#4 Succor

Succor

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:58 AM

I have heard that you can install 98SE on top of 98 and it works.
Never tried it though

You have to get a 98SE Upgrade disk to install on top of 98. :thumbsup: I don't believe you are able to install the regular 98SE on top of 98. I have all the disks that Microsoft released for 98 and only used the upgraded disk for the regular 98.

There are 98SE and 98SE upgrade disks out there, E-Bay does have them.
Theres hope for most, but only patiance for few.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 12:29 PM

You are not going to get anything from M$, windows 98 and ME have not been supported since July of last year.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 roseredd

roseredd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:59 PM

Apparently, it's not my problem anymore. He "got someone to get it", so I wash my hands of it. Seeing as how this is all going down from one elderly person to another, I doubt he senses bootlegged-ness, but I'm not going to try to convince him, I guess.

Thanks, guys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users