Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hd Was 250 Gb, Now Reads As 160 Gb

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:33 PM

I know, I posted this problem a while back and I kind of gave up on it for a while. Now it's really bugging me.

Here's the sitrep:

I have a 2nd HD that I'm using as storage on my system. It is a ATA/IDE Seagate Barracuda 250 Gb hard drive on an eVGA nForce 680i SLi motherboard.

First time I plugged it in, it was reading the entire 250 Gb. Since it was just to be used as a 2nd hard drive, I tried to delete everything off of it as I already had my system set up on a primary SATA HD. I couldn't get rid of some inaccessible files (probably from the old XP installation from the previous computer) so I just tried to erase the whole thing using Killdisk. Then I proceeded to format it in XP, and then it showed up as 160 Gb.

LBA and UDMA are auto-detect in BIOS. Did I somehow irretrievably change the HD capacity, locking away a partition forever that doesn't show up?

Already tried checking out my Seagate setup CD for support and went online. They have drive capacity issues, but not for the one I'm having. I'm thinking there's a very simple and stupid step I'm missing somewhere. The CD DID tell me that the XP reading large disk wasn't enabled and it did that for me after rebooting, but still reads as 160 Gb.

Thanks in advance.
UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:59 PM

Do you have service pack 2 installed?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:34 PM

Yes, I do have SP 2 installed. In fact, I didn't hook up my 2nd HD until I had everything all set up, updated, and installed.

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:08 PM

Wipe it, us the CD to format and partition it and go again.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2007 - 09:49 PM

Dang it. I wiped it, formatted it and used the DiscWizard from Seagate to partition it and it's still no go. In fact, in DiscWizard, it still only read 160 Gb. This is kind of driving me nuts. The LBA is enabled in BIOS, so I don't understand this at all. I'm on the verge of just giving up and going with 160 Gb instead of the 250 I know I'm supposed to have.

If it helps, it USED to be the system drive on my old computer.

*EDIT*

Very weird thing just happened. I went into the Device Manager to see how that drive was being listed. It's up and working fine as I figured, BUT...the model number it listed was for a 160 Gb model and not the 250 Gb that I know I have!!! What the hell's going on here?!? I'm trying to find an updated driver for it, but so far no luck.

Edited by Venek, 24 March 2007 - 10:16 PM.

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:19 AM

You sure that isn't a 160GB drive? Check the model number on the drive itself.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:53 AM

That's what I did, and boy, do I feel like a colossal idiot. It IS a 160 Gb model. I have no idea why I thought it was 250. Probably because when I bought the components for my new system, I bought a 250 Gb SATA HD and somehow thought my old IDE was the same capacity.

I must be getting old, damn memory's going on me. Maybe if I bought some RAM and stuck it in my brain...

Sorry to all those who helped me, it was my goof.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:56 AM

I must be getting old, damn memory's going on me. Maybe if I bought some RAM and stuck it in my brain..

Don't worry.. Glad we got this sorted out..

Better than Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users