Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing files on desktop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spectrum

spectrum

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 AM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 06:25 AM

After installing SP2 and restarting my computer, all the files except shortcuts have gone missing from my Desktop. The files are a range of Word and ppt documents... and I have no backup. I tried using the search facility, but the files couldn't be found even in hidden folders. Please help.

1) Using Windows XP Pro
2) Have not been hit by a virus.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 07:33 AM

You still have the shortcuts to these documents on the desktop? Try a right click on the icons and select properties. Is there anything in the Target box? What happens if you click on Find target?

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 spectrum

spectrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 04:42 AM

After right-clicking, it shows this: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop. But when I double-click on it to open it, the message "Windows is searching for the file... To search for it yourself, click browse..." appears. When it finally ends its search, a message appears saying that the shortcut is invalid..., the closest match is C:\Documents and Settings\Owner, and would you like to delete or change the target.

There is only one user account on my computer. Is there any way for me to track the changes made to my computer?

(I have Ad-Aware, Spyboy S + D, and Norton Anti-virus.)

Edited by spectrum, 10 January 2005 - 04:51 AM.

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2005 - 10:01 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner is where they might be.

Click Start.
Open My Computer.
Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
Select the View Tab.
Under the Hidden files and folders heading select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
Click Yes to confirm.
Click OK.

Go to Start>Search>Find files or folders and do a search for *.doc. If you have any word documents on your computer that will find them. Do it again with *.ppt. This will find your powerpoint files if they are still there.

Look here for info on many common XP problems. You could try Last known good Configuration or How to use the Automatic Recovery Feature to Recover From a Bad SP2 Install.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 spectrum

spectrum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 10:58 PM

Well, I couldn't find the files, and my computer crashed. So, basically I just reformatted the whole thing. I just wanted to say thanks for all the help given!

#6 Flameviper12

Flameviper12

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 02:29 PM

My entire desktop crashed, icons, taskbar, and all after uninstalling Google Desktop Search. Does anyone know how to fix this?

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2005 - 04:22 PM

Flameviper12:

Microsoft provides free support in connection to any problems that arise as a result of installing security upgrades, which SP 2 is.

Microsoft Security Product Support Policy
"Technical support is available from Microsoft Product Support
Services at 1-866-PC SAFETY (1-866-727-2338).

There is no charge for support calls associated with security updates.

International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found
at:" http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

spectrum:
Did that occur after deleting the Google desktop search or while you were installing it? You made contradictory statements in the two threads you posted.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users