Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall Windows

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:33 AM

I used to have dual OS (win 2000 and 98) which system files found in C.When i played with ntldr, everything went blank and booting problem occurred that needed me to reinstall windows 2000 .Note also that when I chose win 98 it flashed fatal exception blah blah ...I ignored Recovery console as I forgot admin password.In the mmiddle of the setup, I got stuck because it was asked for cd key w/c i lost already.I did the same thing to another partition (D).But after getting fed up with the mess ive created, I took my 98 bootable disc ,inserted into cd drive and formatted D drive.I inserted again win 2000 cd and installed win 2000 in other partition which is F, thinking I could scape the process without entering cd key but I failed.I bought new one and finished the setup successfully.
Now, when I boot this computer, there are 4 listed OS choices during start up,

windows 2000..........
windows 2000.........
windows 2000.......
window 98...

the windows 2000 at the top most is sucessfully starting up.I can see that winnt folder and programs windows has installed in D drive are not there anymore as I had formatted it but why the os is still listed during start up?
If I choose windows 2000 on top of win 98, start up error massages appear due to failure during setup.Now what I want is this.I want to remove windows 2000 which system files are in C , where system files of win98 are also stored.Should I remove them manually?And why F drive has status "healthy(boot)" and C has "healthy(system)" in the disk management when my computer is booting properly to top most os choice which system files (winnt) found in F? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.tnx

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

When you say "Formatted", did you perform a quick format, or a full? Most time with quick formats, you old OS is still listed in the Boot.ini file. Usually when you just wanna start fresh, do a full format so the drive is clean.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 Jombee

Jombee

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:25 PM

When you say "Formatted", did you perform a quick format, or a full? Most time with quick formats, you old OS is still listed in the Boot.ini file. Usually when you just wanna start fresh, do a full format so the drive is clean.

that's not entirely correct.
these "ghost" installs are in your boot.ini file
load up win2k, right click my computer, choose properties, then advanced, then startup and recovery. then you should be able to manually edit the boot.ini file

#4 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 01:54 PM

okey thanx for all your replies.
ive already cleant all the mess ive made.
Ive deleted F partition and reformatted D, where I installed win 2000.
now its back to its original settings.windows 98 and windows 2000 are all workng fine now.
Even the list of os choices during start up has been back to normal.
This windows 98 is in C drive.This windows 98 used to have windows 2000 sitting in the same partition.Their system files (WIN,WINNT) ive seen in C.This means there have 2 OSs in the same partition of C until now since that computer had been bought.This win2000 pro in C is not starting as it is corrupt and not even coming out in the os choices list.
I wanted to remove this windows 2000 in C where 98 is installed.How will I do that?

#5 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 09:54 PM

Well if its a win98 drive, can you delete the 2000/winnt folder, or does it give you access errors?

Gavin Seabrook

#6 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:17 AM

yes, i can delete i dont get any error.but I dont think manually deleting windows 2000 system files and its folders is a proper way of uninstaling it.i just want c drive to be solely for win 98.Because
when I was trying to ugrade win 98 to xp i was gettng error.It was sayn that xp cant be installed in dual os envirnment.that is why i wanted to uninstall or remve this winnt or alll system files of win 2000 in c.

#7 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

Well windows xp can perform dual boot, but i guess it might just be due to the fact that win 98 sucks lol

Gavin Seabrook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users