Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Winsock Error From Mcafee?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 christinaemcc

christinaemcc

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

Hi, I'm having trouble with the HP dv1000 laptop... it has XP and I think the most current service pack (2, 4, i dunno... ). Let me preface this entire post by admitting: I have a *ton* of music on my computer, probably between 3,500-4,000 songs.... however, these songs were on my computer for practically a YEAR before my computer decided to turn into a tortoise. I thought maybe it was due to spyware, so I went right over to CompUSA and had the sales associate pick out a virus/spyware program for me... he picked out McAfee. Not only did it NOT cleanup anything, but the darn thing messed with my firewall settings, but it also messed with my ip address and finally left me 1) without internet access, and 2) a "winsock error" (according to the HP rep I talked to). So, she gives me the number to McAfee, and they try to charge me $2.95 PER MINUTE to talk to a rep, but they cannot estimate or approximate how long the call will take. So, I did my own research and downloaded some Winsock_FixXP program, and they I updated all my drivers / reinstalled all my XP restore disks and whatnot. Low and behold, my computer and internet are working. Correction: working *very* slowly. Literally, when I double click on my Internet Explorer icon, it takes at least 3 minutes for the window to appear! I have done the disk cleanup and defragmenter.... but I have yet to reinstall McAfee for fear that it will mess up my computer AGAIN....... any ideas???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:21 AM

Free protection solutions (just google 'em):

AntiVirus - AVG Free
AntiSpyware - Windows Defender
Firewall - last freeware version of Sygate Personal Firewall

As for the slowness - download and try Firefox. It's free, and you can remove it once you're done testing (but I'd stick with it if I were you). http://www.mozilla.com/

If Firefox works at a more reasonable speed, then it's IE that's hosed. You'll have to repair IE in order to fix it.

If Firefox is slow also, then it's likely that the basic settings for your network are hosed (or that Windows has been corrupted).

Try creating a new connection and see if that works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:36 AM

Look at the programs I have in my sig. They have kept me clean for 2 years now.

First do :

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:

* Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
* Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
* Under Browsing History, click "Delete".
* Click "Delete Files", "Delete cookies" and "Delete history"
* Click Close below.

* Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):

* Go to Tools > Options.
* Click Privacy in the menu..
* Click the Clear now button below.. A new window will popup what to clear.
* Select all and click the Clear button again.
* Click OK to close the Options window

* Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin

* Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
* Let it scan your system for files to remove.
* Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
* Press OK to remove them.

Furthermore you might want to consider doing a clean up of your computer with the following components

1)Download and scan,once a week with SUPERAntiSypware Free for Home Users

* Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
* An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
* If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Udates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
* When done, select "Scan for Harmful Software".
* There are three scanning options. Choose "Perform Complete Scan" and click "Next".
* When done, a Scan Summary will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
* Make sure they all have a checkmark next to them and click "Next".
* A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
* Click Preferences and then click the statistics/logs tab.
* Click the dated log and press View log. A text file will appear so you can see the results.
* Select close to exit the program.
* Scan in SAFE MODE

Download install and update Ccleaner
Attention : the installation package comes with the Yahoo toolbar
if you do not want that you have to, untick the box accepting it during installation process.

After installing and updating go to options - advanced and tick prompt for registry back ups
Now Start up in safe mode
Do two runs

1) Click on problems and tick all. Click on analyse. At the end you will be prompted for storing a backup.
This will be stored, as a default, in My documents.
2) Click on cleaner click on analyse and accept all files to be removed.

Screenshot Ccleaner
Posted Image

#4 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:44 PM

Make sure McCrapFee is completely removed before installing a better anti-virus program.

Manual Uninstall of McAfee VirusScan 5.x, 6.x, and 7.x
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users