Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting Up A File Sever

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 epatchild

epatchild

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:40 AM

Hello,
You guys have been really helpful in the past so hopefully someone might be able to help with this question.

I have an old P3 1.1GHz machine with 352MB RAM and 200GB of Disk space and I want to set it up as a file sever to another machine, which is an AMD 64 3.5GHz with 2GB RAM and has 250GB of disc space. Both machines are running Windows XP Pro SP2 with updates and I'd rather not have to change the OS on either of them. The AMD machine has two network ports one goes straight out on to my network and I was thinking that the second one could be connected to the P3 machine and just link them peer to peer. How easy is it to set up file sharing peer to peer between these 2 machines using XP Pro?
Any other hints or tips that anyone has would be appreciated as this is the first time I have attempted this.
Thanks for any advice

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:10 AM

Well first of all you will need a Cross over Patch Lead. This will swap the transmit and receive channels and allow direct connecion without the use of a Hub.
A normal patch lead will not work if you are not using a hub or switch of the like.

Set the IP addresses on the machines to different static addresses say
and
Sub Net mask of 255.255.255.0

No need to set a gateway address as this is all it will need to talk to each other.

you should then be able to connect to each machine by using the oposite IP address. ie for .5 to .6 you could open my computer and type
\\192.168.1.6
This should then bring up any shared folders. If none appear then you will need to add shares to the folders you wish to share.

I am not sure why you would want to do this on a home environment would it not be easier just to add the drive as another drive in the main machine?
Posted Image

#3 epatchild

epatchild
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:52 PM

Thank you for the advice.
I know it sounds like a waste of time and I agree it would be more simple and easy to just move the disk into the AMD box and just leave it as that.
I just wanted to see if I could do it and maybe get a better understanding of how to network 2 machines peer to peer and to see if i could find an advantage of using the two machines together.
Thank you for your help and time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users