Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Avg Problem

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 yethPC

yethPC

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:15 AM

I used to have AVG 7.5 anti-virus software in my machine and used to work while I browsed through the net using IE7.I used to get fed up for how slow it has become after AVG installation and sometimes worse than that, I could nt even do others things using ms office programs while browsing for if I would so,the next thing to do was to press the reset button to keep mouse back from doing it job.
Yes, there were large programs in my computer (ms office,picture package,media player,photoshop,dreamweaver,flash,ym,msn messnger,IE7) but I would say none of these was the culprit of making my computer slow down.Cause when I uninstalled these 3 web designning tools, it didnt help to give at least 3% increase in its speed.With this situation, I opened the add/remove program, looked into the list of installed programs and I turned my eyes into AVG.Rmoving this resolved this issue and made my computer back to its normal speed but it left confusion and disappointment in my mind.
Could this be os related or there is something wrong with the combinations of programs installed?Should there be also rules on this or how will I know that the set of my programs deteriorates my system?
Below is my PC Specs

IntelR)
Pentium®4 CP 2.4 Ghz
2.4 Ghz, 128 MB ram

XP Pro ver 2002 SP2
ACER 52x CD drive

C: primarypartition 9.32 GB, D: 9.32 GB, E: 9.32 GB , F:9.3 GB

Thanks a lot.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 13,000 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:35 AM

With what info you have given, two things stand out. One is allowing programs to start during startup. No need for that. They will just grab the limited memory you have which is the second suggestion I would make is to add more memory.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:48 AM

I ve even disabled some ms services running during start up yet I did not get the speed it used to have before only when I removed AVG it was back.Is there any other suggestions except from adding RAM?Some tips and tweaks?....tnx

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:02 AM

Was that the only anti virus you had installed?

#5 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:39 AM

It was the first and the last anti virus installed in this PC as of this writing.I dont have anti virus as of now.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:57 AM

You need to install an Antivirus, immediately!

The main problem I see, is what buddy215 mentioned; not nearly enough RAM, especially with the programs you have listed.
I would recommend 512MB as a minimum.
It will amaze you, how much difference increasing the RAM will make.

Do you have anything, other than the Operating System, on your primary partition (C:)?

You can also check out these 2 topics:
Slow Computer?
Windows XP Tweak Guide

Edited by tg1911, 20 March 2007 - 10:59 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:53 AM

How much available hard drive space do you have on your Primary (C:\) drive? Did you partition your dive into several partitions or do you have more than one hard drive? If the free space on your Windows partition falls below 15%, you will have problem with Windows operating properly. It will cause you to have insufficient virtual memory and the Window's Defrag program to not function properly, if at all.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:14 PM

Ive just installed Avast anti virus as some experts advised.The system has gone slow yet, surfing seems a bit fast.
hmmm...Ive already removed all these 3 web designing tools befre i installed avast.
there is only one hard drive in this computer with several partitions of 4 as listed above in my first message.
used space in C: 4.58
free space in C :4.72
total of 9.32

is there anything else to do to optimize it?

#9 yethPC

yethPC
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 365 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

no other existing os except this version of xp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users