Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible Highjack?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 baseballmom

baseballmom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:35 AM

Hello to all. Thank you to anyone who might have some advice for me regarding my issues.

Last week my PC started getting a pop up window from my firewall saying that ntoskrnl.exe is trying to access the network, I checked no, do not allow it access. I also am unable to get to several websites. I have run all the usual scans......AVAST, trend micro, ad-aware se, spy bot, ccleaner, cleanup and a-squared. Trend found some cookies, I deleted them. Again, thank you fro any help you can give me.

Gina

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:30 AM

Welcome to BC baseballmom..

Description:
ntoskrnl.exe is a critical process in the boot-up cycle of your computer although should never appear in WinTasks whilst under normal circumstances

Note: ntoskrnl.exe can be altered by the w32.bolzano and variants. If this process appears in WinTasks, please update your virus definitions immediately

Can you see it in your Taskmanager (CTRL ALT DEL)?

Please try to run this Microsft scan IE required to see whether all is ok and post back results

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:23 AM

ntoskrnl.exe is Microsoft's NT Kernel & System process. However it can by altered by some malware. The legit file can be found in various locations on your computer to include:
C:\I386
C:\Windows\System32
C:\Windows\Driver Cache\I386
C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles

What firewall are you using and did it provide the location of the file when you were alerted? This notification alert seems to be a common complaint from users of Sygate who used the option to Hide Notification Messages in order to resolve the issue.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users