Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Signing In Problem (help Needed)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:32 AM

For security purposes on my PC with Windows XP Home Edition SP2 all up to date. I use Comodo Firewall--AVG Antivirus free edition-- AVG Antispyware free edition--Spyware Blaster-- Windows Defender all used regularly and kept up to date. Last week AVG Antispyware found a Trojan called KillAV and quarantined it. My AVG Antivirus which does its daily scan at 0800hrs had not picked it up that morning and the previous antispyware scan with AVG which had been done two days before also hadn't picked anything up. I immediately did another scan which picked it up and quarantined it again. I deleted them both this time and did another scan which found nothing. That night I also did a Windows Live One Care scan which again found nothing other than the usual temp internet files etc.

I have paid particular attention to my PC's behaviour since then but everything seems to work normally apart from the following incident.
The day after the above happened I went to sign into my PC and found that although the little sign in box with my name was there the little flashing print icon wasn't and I therefore could not sign in. I rebooted my PC and everything has worked well again for the last week until this morning when the same thing happened again. After the first time I changed the passwords on both mine and my daughters (who shares this PC) accounts as a precaution.

As I say other than this happening twice my PC works just as it always has but perhaps someone could tell me how to stop it happening again. Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
Bluesjunior.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:54 AM

It's possible that the removal of the Trojan caused some damage to the OS. This happens because some of these buggers get their hooks into some of the system files.

I'd try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )

If that doesn't work, then try a repair install ( http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm ) although it's a real PITA to sit through the 65 or so Windows Updates afterwards.

Good Luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 bluesjunior

bluesjunior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for your reply Usasma.

I had a look at the links you gave and will have to get someone to help me make a bootable SP2 installation disc as mine is the original Windows XP Home Edition SP1.

I don't think it will come to that though as the signing in problem has only happened the twice mentioned already and both times I was able to sign in on reboot. Otherwise my PC is running as per normal.

This KillAV Trojan could only have been on my machine a maximum of 36-48hrsbefore I found and deleted it. How much damage could it do in that time?.

As i remember the first time it came up on AVG it was in msmsgsin.exe. The second scan it came up on something to do with Windows Media Player. I think it got onto my machine through WMP as I had allowed it to connect to the net through my Comodo Firewall after reading that it was ok to allow this as it possibly needed access to updates or suchlike. I have now blocked WMP from accessing the internet on Comodo.

I did a scan this afternoon with AVG Antispyware in safe mode and again it found nothing so I am sure it is gone now.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users