Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Start Windows Xp In Safe Mode...

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 D-inDistress

D-inDistress

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:12 AM

Hi there,

I recently bought myself a lovely shiny new 19" widescreen TFT monitor and after plugging into my pc; I went about updating the drivers for my Nvidia GeForce 5600 graphics card to get the best screen resolution for said monitor.

Afterwards, my pc required a reboot which i did only to discover that Windows XP Home can no longer boot up. I can only assume it doesn't like the new drivers i installed for my graphics card. Unfortunately the boot up takes me to the Safe mode options screen and asks me to scroll up or down using the arrow keys to select "safe mode" "safe mode with networking" "last known safe config" and alas my keyboard no longer works...I cannot scroll up or down and windows will not reboot so i am stuck in an unending loop of despair and frustration.

I attempted to reboot windows from my CD but this too requires a "press any key to reboot windows XP from disc" which I cannot do.

I can however enter the "BIOS" menu and the keyboard will work here...but I am unsure how this helps me get back to windows and removing the offending drivers.

Thx in advance! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:16 AM

I would say this maybe a issue with a USB keyboard or wireless keyboard. Try and find a wired keyboard and attaching that and restart in safe mode and roll back the graphics drivers.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:12:03 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:08 PM

If your keyboard is a USB type, you may need to check BIOS settings. Root around for something similar to
USB Legacy Support. If you find that and it is disabled, ENABLE it, save the change, and try rebooting in safe mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users