Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zonealarm Blocking Lan

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 soulsear

soulsear

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:40 PM

I was using zone alarm free edition. I share a LAN connection with about 4 other computers. After installing zone alarm, the other computers could no longer access my files. What can i do? I know it's something about adding IP to trusted zone in zone alarm, but how and where do i get the IP from.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:52 PM

Normally when you boot up ZA detects a LAN and reports a new network which you add to the Trusted Zone.
If that's failing, run the cmd prompt.
On the black screen type ipconfig /all
Enter your network into the trusted zone as network (I'm sure you already have it)
Enter a range of IP addresses for the other computers. Note that I'm assuming dynamic IP assignment, and normally router issues those sequentially, something like 192.168.1.100 or 101, 102, 103 etc. so tell ZA to treat a range from .100 to .120 as trusted.
Enter your DNS server as IP address, you may see two of them.
Enter your loopback a 127.0.0.1 I think it is.
Make sure sharing is allowed on the computers and you should be good to go.

There's one hurdle you may have to resolve later. If the computers are powered up in different sequence, things could get messy. I've seen assigning static IP addresses as one of the solutions.

#3 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:55 PM

I just reread you post. So you use ICS? Internet connection sharing? three computers use one for access?
If so, some of what I wrote above may not apply. The only advice I have is read the instructions. One of the questions at installation is "Is this computer using ICS" or something similar, in which case ZA would configure it for you. Likely there's HELP button in the right corner, where they'll explain it better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users