Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dave 'The Rave'

Dave 'The Rave'

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:34 PM

Hey everyone, I recently bought and installed a new graphics card and PSU today, but during most 3D games, it freezes with an infinite loop of audio. I have read about this problem on other sites and it is apparantly common with the Nvidia Geforce 7600 series.
Here are the exact models of the graphics card, and the new PSU.
Graphics Card
Power Supply Unit

Any and all help is appreciated greatly. :thumbsup:

Thanks,
Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:26 PM

The power supply could be the problem, it is rated at 350W which meets the requirements of the graphics card, but I couldn't find any specs on the amperage of the different rails.

How much RAM do you have?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Dave 'The Rave'

Dave 'The Rave'
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:03 AM

1024mb DDR PC3200

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 08:27 AM

Have a look at the memory allocation of the machine via task manager before running the game. If you are running something like P2P they can sometimes takeup alot of memory and processor power that will make the game error.
FocusToonSigStreched.jpg

#5 Dave 'The Rave'

Dave 'The Rave'
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:34 PM

I usually just have my Antivirus running and some unrelated, necessary progams. This happens with alot of games, and alot of other people have reported to have this problem, I know for sure its not a matter of memory usage or something along those lines. So has anyone had this problem on any others cards or know a solution?
Mucho gracias.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:22 PM

Have you installed the latest and greatest drivers for the card? Not the ones that came on the CD with the gfx card, but the ones from Nvidia's website?

Try that, and see how it goes. You might also want to download and install direct X version 9.0c (even if you already have it installed, do it again as they update that but dont' change the version).

I'd agree with dc3 that it could very well be the power supply. Ensure that the power line that goes to the gfx card doesn't have anything else plugged into it.

Give the above a shot and let us know how you make out. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 Dave 'The Rave'

Dave 'The Rave'
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:28 PM

Alright thanks, I'll try that now. I'll post what happens in a few minutes.

#8 Dave 'The Rave'

Dave 'The Rave'
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 02:55 PM

Ok I checked and plugged in another cable into the graphics card, just to check, and while running Half life 2 on 8x Antialiasing (I believe) it crashed with some sort of internal Direct X error, but that was happening before I got the new card. Currently I have not seen the same problem yet, but I will try out San Andreas (the other game I noticed it in) and see how that works.

#9 Dave 'The Rave'

Dave 'The Rave'
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:36 PM

Ok well it stopped freezing, or at least I didn't notice it freezing, but I did come across this.
Posted Image

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:44 PM

Have you downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Nvidia?

Have you downloaded and installed direct X 9.0c?

Do the above and let us know that you've done them. If you update the things that I've mentioned, then I'd lean towards your power supply being under rated for the card.

Also, try turning the AA off, run San Andreas and/or HL2 and see if turning off the AA helped. If it does, then turn the AA to 2, try again. If it's still good, then go up to 4....still good then jump to 8. If it acts up when AA is on, it might also be a cooling issue. What do you have for cooling fans (case fans and graphics card)?
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#11 Dave 'The Rave'

Dave 'The Rave'
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:51 PM

I have updated all drivers as of yesterday (most recent releases), the only cooling I have is the processor fan, the GPU fan, and the fact that I have my chassis open alot of the time.
When I turned AA off in San Andreas, all of the textures started stretching all over the place, and I haven't even tried in HL2.

#12 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:27 PM

Might very well be heating then...put a fan so that it blows into your case to keep things cool. No air flow in your case is a bad thing.
Posted Image

#13 Dave 'The Rave'

Dave 'The Rave'
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:04 PM

Ok I just set up an external fan blowing in air on low, however I still have the stretching textures problem, whats the solution for that?

#14 Dave 'The Rave'

Dave 'The Rave'
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 05:30 PM

How much of a difference does 1 Amp make?
The PSU I have has 19A on the 12V rail, and the graphics card requires 20A or more, will it make that much of a difference, and would this be why I'm having serious graphics issues?

Thanks in advance.

#15 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 06:18 PM

You said earlier that you got the stretching when you turned off AA....since you put the fan there, did you turn AA back on?

I still wonder if it's your power supply....an inefficient power supply can do funky things to graphics.

Edited by stevealmighty, 22 March 2007 - 06:20 PM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users