Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu At 100% Whenver I Load Any Program

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 NinjaTator

NinjaTator

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:20 PM

I'm kinda a greenhorn at this so you'll have to excuse me if I miss an obvious error...but this is driving me nuts :flowers:

I use my computer for games and Microsoft office (college student here)
(i also have some pretty good test databases for the CCNA exam if anyone’s interested :thumbsup: )

ok so here's the deal, when my windows XP pro system is idling, the cpu usage is between 0-2%.

but when i start anything (including my games, but not limited to them) the cpu usages maxes out at 100%, and the application is lagging. It even does it for a few seconds when I load smaller applications like word

First question, can my computer handle the game? I’m running a 2.4 GHZ pentium4 w/ 1gig of ram on a 130gb HDD. The req specs for this game is a 800mhz cpu w/ 256mb ram. (so I think I’m ok in that department).

My computer should be able to walk circles around this game (and other applications), so it can't be that

I've also noticed that it would even spike up to 60%ish when i clicked and dragged a window across the screen.

Second question, do I have a virus? I have an updated copy of Norton antivirus running on my computer, and I have scanned the HELL out of it. So far its come up clean.

Possible Error
I just installed a new mx400 128mb graphics card (not much i know, but it was cheep at wallmart :trumpet: ) and thats when this all started. so i figured the card was screwing up the system, and I un-installed it. but nothing changed, my CPU was still spiking.

First solution that I tried
I did, what any reasonable college kid does when his computer doesn't work. FDISK
I figured that whatever problem/virus it had could not stand up to the computer atom bomb FDISK. So I installed a fresh copy of XP Pro, re-installed all the necessary drivers (that gateway recovery utility off their website rox) including my graphics card. And all was good in my world for about 5 minuets. Then BOOM, same exact problem.

I then read somewhere that installing the card after the service pack2, can sometimes caus errors. So, I had a whole weekend, I decided to FDISK it again, and this time install the card before the service pack. Once again, it seemed to work for a few minuets; but eventually reverted back to spiking every time I used a program.

Second solution I tried

Seeing as how dropping the 'F BOMB' (as I like to call FDISK) didn't work, I decided to take a more of a nerd approach to it, so I made sure my CPU driver was current, and that my HDD didn't have any errors, and my ram was working (I even flashed my bios w/ the latest version...just to make sure) but nothing works

The Strange part
I've since removed the card, un-installed it etc. and just as before, nothing changed. Here's the strange part, in my attempt to find a forum such as this one, I cam across 3 or 4 different 'free scans' you can download. So I gave it a shot, and to my surprise, one said I had 17 errors, one said I had 29 errors, and one said I hade 445 errors. (most of witch are in the registry) Keep in mind that this copy of windows XP, is 2 days old.

****Im wondering if those sites are a scam, telling you that you have 400 errors and continentally not fixing it until you pay $30...but that's another topic.****

I'm going to try to install windows on another HDD I have, this time w/out the use of the graphics card...but I have a bad feeling that it wont work. Any Ideas/suggestion????

(BTW, I’m not sure if this is a game issue or a xp issue, so I posted this in 2 threads...sorry if that pisses anyone off, and thanks for the help)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

(BTW, I’m not sure if this is a game issue or a xp issue, so I posted this in 2 threads...sorry if that pisses anyone off, and thanks for the help)

It does not "p1$$ us off, but it confuses people and it's possible you get conflicting messages. It's highly preferable you stick to one forum for posting a question. If it's not in the right forum one of the staff will move it for you, and leave a link to it's new location for you to find it.

So with that said. your post in the games forum is gone and this is the only post regarding this issue. :flowers:

By the way, Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :thumbsup:

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 mfc007

mfc007

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:39 PM

ok man, first you have to go on save mode and try scanning your computer with Norton which a don't like a lot i rather use Zone Alarm but any way if i recommend you to use Spy Doctor is really good if you have annoying spy ware on you computer...dont try to scan you computer in regular windows go on save mode spy ware or viruses tend to hide really good but on save mode they are expose...make sure you are up to date on viruses signatures ( regular updates) and if not try using system mechanic to correct any problem " install system mechanic on regular windows is probably that is going to take some time to install the program with you problem but here is a fast fix for that just log out and after login out hit CONTROL - ALT - DEL and is going to give you a choice of user name type Administrator and hit enter you should be able to log in as administrator install system mechanic and go back to save mode and scan all possible scanning modes to fix you problem.......i hope you are not over clocking you CPU that will mess up you computer a lot goood luck

#4 mfc007

mfc007

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:48 PM

spy ware can cause that specific problem you have.....oh and no password when you do the CTRL - ALT - DEL just type user name and no password

#5 Murasame

Murasame

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:26 AM

I have encountered this problem of CPU usage being taken up to almost 100% before but I'm not sure whether the solution I'm providing will help you or not.

1)Open task manager and go under the processes tab and check which process is taking up so much resources.

2) If there IS, check out the function of the process and what might it be by doing an internet search.

For my case, there is this windows service that had a problem so I disabled it. After I disabled it, everything returned to normal.

If its another kind of problem then I guess I wont be of much help.

Regards,
Murasame

#6 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:23 AM

I've since removed the card, un-installed it etc. and just as before, nothing changed. Here's the strange part, in my attempt to find a forum such as this one, I cam across 3 or 4 different 'free scans' you can download. So I gave it a shot, and to my surprise, one said I had 17 errors, one said I had 29 errors, and one said I hade 445 errors. (most of witch are in the registry) Keep in mind that this copy of windows XP, is 2 days old.

Which scans did you do?

I suggest you do this scan to see what is going on. If this does not shed any light in terms of malware you might consider to do the following :

Please run theSystem File Checker. to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If SFC discovers that a critical system file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

To use System File Checker:
Go to Start > Run and type: sfc /scannow

Make sure that you include a space between the c and /. This command will initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files, verify their integrity, and replace any problem files.

When you try to run the System File Checker tool (Sfc.exe) on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, you may be prompted to insert the Windows XP SP2 CD. However, the System File Checker does not accept either the Windows XP SP2 CD or the original Windows XP CD. This problem occurs because the System File Checker must verify the SP2 files against the originally installed files. However, the System File Checker does not recognize the Windows XP SP2 CD or the Windows XP CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900910

When you use the System File Checker tool (Sfc.exe) on a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition-based computer, you may be prompted to insert one of the following:
• CD 1 from the Microsoft Windows XP Professional CD package
• The Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD
• The Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=897128

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:40 AM

As fozzie has said, do the scan he suggests first. It'll scan for malware and may find something that other apps have missed. It will also clean your registry.

SFC.EXE will help to see if any protected system files have been corrupted.

After that, it's a matter of tracking down what's using the CPU - try going to the Processes tab in Task Manage (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Then click on the View menu item, then on Select Columns. Select the IO Reads column (you may also want the IO Writes and IO Other) to see what's causing this.

Once the offending process is found you can then take steps to fix or optimize it so that you won't see such a great deal of resource consumption. I suspect it's your video drivers, although a 'glitch' with the game may also be responsible.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 NinjaTator

NinjaTator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:49 AM

[quote name='Animal' date='Mar 19 2007, 07:11 PM' post='477155']
[quote]
By the way, Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Thanks, I'll get on scanning my computer for stuff.

BTW: the process that seems to take up alot of time is scvhost.exe
Actualy, there are like 10 versions of this running at the same time, and just one of them is taking up alot of the time. is that normal ?

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:00 PM

10 is an awful lot of svchost.exe processes running (although I had 7 on my old copy of XP). Svchost.exe acts as a "host" for other services that run "underneath" it. You can see inside the svchost.exe process by using this free program: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx

Make sure that your system is fully updated with all Windows Updates (to include SP2) - and that you've scanned for malware (you can use this free, online scan to double check your current protection: http://safety.live.com/ )
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Gurminder Singh

Gurminder Singh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:06 PM

hey your problrm is a hardware problem. As u have installed a fresh copy of XP, so all viruses,reg errors,etc is gone and possible culprits are RAM or HDD.

Frm my point of view u shud try my formula:

1. restart ur pc & enter BIOS,Load all default settings.
2. Turn off, take out all the cards on PCI slot, LAN, graphics cards etc. PC shud only have empty Motherboard, HDD & RAM

3. Check the CPU chip, RAM modules for any loose connection etc
4. Change the HDD with spare one if any
Now start ur system & install fresh copy of XP, if there was some Hardware prob then PC will beep twice & will not boot, but ur case is dif. Any ways try this & let me know theh results

Always to help u there
java script:emoticon(':thumbsup:', 'smid_15')

Gurminder Singh
India :flowers: :trumpet:

#11 NinjaTator

NinjaTator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:08 PM

OK, I scanned my computer using the links you guyz provided. It found no problems with any virus/spyware etc. And it verrified that I am completly up to date.

I installed a fresh copy of xp on a different HDD, and got the same problems....but the RAM (other then the quick check I made to make sure it was being recognized) I'm not to sure how to test it. I do have an extra 512 stick (motherboard only has 2 slots) so i think i will take out the 2 512's in it and replace them w/ my other and c if that helps....it might be hardware, im not sure.

another question...could it be network related? I run off of the collegs free wireless network. I didn't think it was networking at first, because my roomates laptop using xp home works just fine.

I'll try checking the RAM and then reply here to post my results.

#12 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:29 PM

To test your RAM:
Memtest86
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#13 NinjaTator

NinjaTator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:15 PM

ok, I switched out my ram w/ the 512 stick i had in reserve. And it seems to not be helping.
I tested both ram slots w/ the new stick, and neither seemed to make an improvement.

So, i've switched the HDD, and RAM, and i've disconnected all perpherials...what else is there??

What about my cpu? could it be my cpu itself?

#14 NinjaTator

NinjaTator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:17 PM

ok, I switched out my ram w/ the 512 stick i had in reserve. And it seems to not be helping.
I tested both ram slots w/ the new stick, and neither seemed to make an improvement.

So, i've switched the HDD, and RAM, and i've disconnected all perpherials...what else is there??

What about my cpu? could it be my cpu itself?

I think my computer needs an exorcism

#15 NinjaTator

NinjaTator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:19 PM

Ok, i've been monitering it for a few days. It still has the same problem, of the CPU alway at 100%. Let me clear a few things up, and hopfuly give out more clues on what the problem is.

On every program i start (i monitor it on task manager) either a scvhost.exe or the program itself will use up 100% of the cpu. so if i run my game, if scvhost.exe doesn't use it, then game.exe be using 99% of cpu.

:thumbsup:

this is why Jesus was a carpenter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users