Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unmountable Boot Volume - No Start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:32 PM

My Dell Dimension 3100 won't boot up. The error message is "unmountable boot volume". I get the blue screen that says Windows shut down to prevent damage to your computer. Then it says to start it in safe mode and remove any newly installed hardware or software, then try again. But I haven't added any new hardware or software since last night when it was working... so I'm at a loss how to proceed.

The only thing that was different was that last night I was watching a DVD on it. So that was the first time that the DVD program (Dell's installed program, not something that I put on) had been used.

Any suggestions out there?
Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:25 PM

Have a look at this Micro$oft KB Article; Unmountable Boot Volume.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:36 AM

Thank you very much for the quick reply! Sounds straightforward. I'll give it a try.

#4 ottawa_peggy

ottawa_peggy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:09 PM

I have a problem. I didn't receive the Windows XP CD-ROM with my system. When it came from Dell, it said that Windows XP was pre-loaded and there were no disks or CDs included. Anything else I could do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users