Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Protecting My Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MisterBuster

MisterBuster

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

During an ill-fated attempt to install Norton 360 on my XP/Pro machine I wound up having to reinstall Windows. I made the decision not to continue with the Norton 360 but, instead, to revert to Norton Premier Systemworks 2005 which came on the machine two years ago and on which I updated the components to make them current. During that process Norton told me that Spybot Search and Destroy, which was on the machine initially, is incompatible with Norton products and that I should remove it. Spybot, naturally, told me the opposite.

In addition, I was running Windows Defender, Ad-Aware, and Pop-up Stopper Anti-Spyware. After I had reinstalled Windows I then began putting programs back on beginning with Pop-up Stopper. My system crashed with a huge thud and Dell Connect running from India had to get me back on the air. I'm not going to reinstall Pop-up Stopper but want to know about installing Ad-Aware and Spybot as well as Windows Defender.

Can someone please tell me which, to your knowledge, of these products is compatible with each other? Is there one product above all that I can use in both Mozilla and IE7? Is there someplace you can point me to for guidance? My goal is to eliminate popups, spyware, and unwanted cookies.

I've been to Lavasoft's forum and already gotten an excellent recommendation to use Cookie Wall as well as Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard. I'm looking for a specific set of programs which work together happily and effectively (am I dreaming) without overkill.

Many thanks,
MisterBuster

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 19 March 2007 - 06:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

adaware and spybot are great programmes. windows defender is iffy, sometimes it's good, sometimes not. spyware blaster i have heard of, but i don't know about. i wouldn't go with those others that you mention.

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:20 AM

For an Antivirus, I'd suggest one of the Freeware alternatives, that can be found here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
I use AVG Free, and haven't had any problems with it.

I also use these programs, and have had no compatability issues:
AVG Anti-Spyware
Ad-Aware SE
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
SpywareGuard

As far as Windows Defender goes, you might want to check out this topic:
Windows Defender Fails In New Malware Test

Edited by tg1911, 20 March 2007 - 07:25 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 MisterBuster

MisterBuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

Can anyone comment on the compatibility of these various programs when installed with Norton Anti-virus, please?

Thanks,
MisterBuster

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,766 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

The specific programs mentioned by tg1911 are all compatible except for AVG. You do not want to use more than one anti-virus at a time because of the conflicts that would result.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 02:01 AM

MisterBuster,

I had the same problem a couple of years ago when I tried to install Norton while having previously installed Spybot. I came to Bleeping Computer and asked for help.

I was told to uninstall Spybot, install Norton and then reinstall Spybot. It worked out just fine.

I have Norton 2006, Spybot and several other security programs installed with no conflicts.

I am not at all computer literate and therefore I am not qualified to offer advice.

I am only relating my experience with the Norton-Spybot conflict and how it was resolved.

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 21 March 2007 - 06:21 AM.

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 11:30 AM

Hey MisterBuster,

If and when you decide to uninstall your Norton product, you may need to use the SymNRT Removal Tool.
Have a look at this article; How To Remove Your Norton Products.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 douchrti

douchrti

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 10:25 AM

Im curious, what firewall are you using?
Doug Woodall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users