Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Presentation Program

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aphrohobbit

aphrohobbit

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

Hello everyone,

this is my very first post, but I feel confident that you will bear over with any typos/stupidities and so forth, hope you guys can give me some good advice :D!

Okay, now for the subject of this post: I am required to do a mandatory art class presentation in about a month or so. My idea was to set up a picture with a lot of different lighting and then let the audience/viewer interact with the settings. Then I thought of adding audio tracks too, to heighten the experience. All the lighting I've taken care of, but I am in doubt about what to do with the audio. Thought of making a CD, and then let the audience choose their own track to accompany the painting, but a CD player is slow and probably wouldn't work well. My other idea was to use my laptop computer, from which people could choose music. Only problem is, I won't be by the project all the time, so I need the computer to function by itself. Is there some kind of kiosk/presentation program, that will let people choose music (with relative ease) and do nothing else on my computer (unless you feed the program some sort of password)?

I'd prefer some sort of shareware/freeware program, it doesn't have to be very fancy, as long as it has those two aforementioned abilities. Thanks a lot for the help!

-Johs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:30 AM

You can try a FREE presentation program called Wink. You can get it at:
http://www.debugmode.com

After that, all you would need to do is host your presentation on the Internet, and let people choose what they want to download. That way, you're not using any of your computer resources.

#3 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:05 AM

I would choose for OpenOffice a multilingual open platform applicaton which has similar functions as office and it is free.

Alternatively you could look at Windows XP: Movie Maker 2.1 which could be an alternative

#4 aphrohobbit

aphrohobbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Although I might not have been clear enough when explaining what the program is needed for: I want to create some kind of environment running ON my computer (not from the internet), where anybody using it only is able to initiate a music sequence (kind of: "Hello, press either button 1, 2 or 3" and then music corresponding to that button would start playing). Also, it's pretty important that one couldn't exit without some sort of identification, so that new people using the computer wouldn't have to boot the program again.

I will try to go with Office (but have had bad experiences in the past), since I have that installed. Is there a password function in PowerPoint?

Again, thanks a lot for all the help!

Good day, Johs

Edited by aphrohobbit, 21 March 2007 - 03:33 PM.

#5 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

MS PowerPoint? setup a presentation to run in a 'kiosk' mode. You can have interactivity in that meaning that htey can click on a button to launch a song or move backwards and forwards.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#6 aphrohobbit

aphrohobbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 02:21 AM

Thank you!

#7 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 03:30 AM

Is there a password function in PowerPoin

For doing what? yes you can protect your presentation by making it read only with a password on it.

#8 aphrohobbit

aphrohobbit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 March 2007 - 04:32 PM

I would like the program to have a password preventing users from exiting the presentation, e.g. you would hit the escape button during a presentation and the program would prompt you to insert a password (and then return to the presentation should you be unable to enter the correct one).

I guess PowerPoint is not able to do that, at least I cannot find anything about it in the Help Menu.

#9 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 22 March 2007 - 07:28 PM

From what I know, there isn;t a way to include a password to stop people from exiting a presentation, you can set it to end when they hit the Esc key.
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users