Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mcafee Antivirus Vs Avg

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 15 March 2007 - 05:19 PM

Mod Edit: posts split off into its own topic from here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/405/antivirus-antimalware-and-antispyware-resources/

First of all, thank you for the list :thumbsup:
Now then, what's the difference between a removal utility + a removal program?
I am currently using AVG Free, latest version. Also have Windows Firewall.
My brother just emailed me to say that McAfee Virus + Firewall Protection (provided free if your isp is Comcast) is better than AVG. Didn't elaborate as to why tho.
Any opinions out there?
Thanks
honu1

Edited by Papakid, 19 March 2007 - 10:04 AM.

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:39 AM

Why is Comcast supposed to be better than AVG for virus protection+a firewall?
Is Windows that weak?
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

#3 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:55 AM

Windows firewall is not that terrific. The vista version is much better, but for XP you are better off with an alternative. As for comcast, who said their productr are better? Comcast?

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,637 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

Hehe, Grinler and I seem to have split this off to its own topic at the same time. :thumbsup:

My brother just emailed me to say that McAfee Virus + Firewall Protection (provided free if your isp is Comcast) is better than AVG.

You know what they say about opinions. Everyone has one of their own.

A lot of people hate McAfee and others love it. I've never used it so can't tell you how good it is. In general commercial antivirus programs have better detection rates and offer some other features like Scriptblocking, being able to schedule scans when you want, etc. They are, however, heavier on resources and Norton and McAfee are almost impossible to remove completely now if you ever want to try something else.

Personally, I don't care for security software installed thru ISP's as they generally don't give you the control of the program that you would have if it were a stand alone product.

AVG is lite on resources and even with a somewhat lower detection rate--altho it has been known to detect some malware that others don't--if you follow security best practices, like refusing to open suspicious email attachments, you will be just fine and you can get a free firewall from the resources list.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/841/best-practices-pc-worlds-avoid-viruses-scams/

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#5 ejames82

ejames82

• Members
  • 404 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:29 PM

both of these guys are correct. i did use mcafee, and even though i did get a virus while using them, i still have a good opinion of them. no AV is perfect.
if you're looking for a quality AV, i would suggest the AOL active shield. it is by kaspersky, and free. a super high rate of detection with real-time protection. just make sure that you opt out of any toolbar that they may try to include with it. i would go for that deal, if i didn't already have kaspersky. kaspersky has already detected 2 viruses and removed them from my system and no malware has got past it undetected.

#6 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:51 PM

McAfee is disgustingly bad. I would rather have a virus than have McAfee.
I was once repairing a customer's computer with a virus/malware issue (because McAfee did such a stellar job protecting the computer from it in the first place!), and I loaded up a utility called HijackThis. If you've looked at all at this forum you know that 90% of the posts around here are in reference to users running this program while a team here assists them with how to use it. When I loaded HJT on this particular unit, McAfee popped up with a warning saying that the one of the most useful and prevalent anti spyware applications to come along in some time was a hijacking worm. Not only did the program fail to protect the user from the virus and malware infections in the first place, but it gave false positives on the program designed to remove them!

In short, yes, AVG is a better program in all respects. AVG shares a similar detection rate to Norton AV while sporting a smaller, more efficient interface, and is free to boot. Both AVG and NAV have better detection rates than McAfee.
Posted Image

#7 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 24 March 2007 - 07:36 PM

I would advise against McAfee. I bought it on the recommendation of the guy at the computer shop, it didn't work (I can't remember the specifics). I got a refund, but it could not be removed from the computer and kept popping up and "doing things". Correspondence and phone calls to McAfee were fruitless, they could not or would not tell me how to stop it or get it off my computer. I got a new computer because the other one was "infected" by McAfee and it was so annoying. I consider McAfee to be a virus....
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

#8 Guest_madaro_*

Guest_madaro_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:41 AM

Like Norton, Mcafee has a removal tool you can download from their website and run after you uninstall the software to completely remove all traces, it's called MCPR. I have been running AVG and the XP firewall since I started using Windows XP, it has not let a worm or port exploit through yet, a very dependable firewall if you ask me, however, it does not monitor outbound connections if this is important to you, it is not a concern for me personally, I use other tools for that. As for AVG, I have used their antivirus for years without incident. I now use their new anti-malware product (av+as) and must say, their products are getting better and better which each new product release. Based on my experience with AVG products, I would recommend AVG over Mcafee.

#9 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:50 AM

Like Norton, Mcafee has a removal tool you can download from their website and run after you uninstall the software to completely remove all traces, it's called MCPR.

At the time I had all of the drama, they sent me a "removal" tool, but it didn't remove it. All it did was disable it, but left the rest of the program intact, running on startup and popping up continuously and saying did I want to renew the subscription. Of course, they may now have sorted something out that works.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users