Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Antispyware program

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 PM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:17 AM

Well I want to give my experience on using this program. :inlove:

I just got it and ran it one time so far. I found many things on my pc and am glad for it. I then before removing anything ran Ad-aware and spybot to see that they did not find anything the MS antispyware program found!

This puzzles me. :thumbsup:

I mean has MS beated Both Spybot on Adaware on its first BETA Try? :trumpet:

Tell me your results!

PS

I also have had no conflicts so far with it. Seems like a good program! :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bem

bem

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:58 AM

Biggest problem so far is it's like the coldwar and searchsquire is the commies: sees one everywhere it looks. Right behind that is that they quit supporting anything but 2k and xp. Sounds just like MS....

Other than that, Giant seems to have made a fairly good product. I'm sure with the ragging their getting in the community they'll have to close the gaps. God knows, they waited long enough to even try.

Think they'll ever bother to write an os that works right in the first place...?

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:33 PM

Think they'll ever bother to write an os that works right in the first place...?

Works fine for me...Of course, I have taken the time to learn how to use it. :thumbsup:

#4 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 12:42 PM

Tried to install this program on a 98SE machine. The installer started to run and then came up with a message saying 2000 and above were needed.

Suggest you gather up a couple of thousand people and a couple of billion dollars and write your own. I'd be happy to try it out.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#5 bem

bem

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 01:58 PM

Oh, come on now. Just a pebble from the street at the miserly rich man's house.... :thumbsup:

Seriously, they've been like the old phone company. Like Lily Tomlin's Josephine the Operator used to say, "We're THE PHONE COMPANY, we don't have to care." As the dominant os on the planet, they (Bill) didn't feel any need to write anything new. Just keep building add-ons.

They never fix anything until they have to, and they don't seem willing to develop code that doesn't build on the known faulty foundation. It can be done, witness the pressure Linux is starting to put on them.

I know how to build an home environmental system that won't cost and arm and leg to run and out-performs 90% of what's out there, and I do it every time. Won't take the easy path for the quicker buck. Every time I learn a better way to do something, I use it. I have completely changed the entire method of design and install radically from where I started 25 years ago. The basic physics didn't change, I did.

Bill has learned, and knowledge is greater now, but its been cheaper so far to just keep on doing what he has been doing with 'more and better' added each time. A programmable T-stat does not a modern system make...

#6 Johnny305SR

Johnny305SR

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 02:07 PM

Oh, come on now. Just a pebble from the street at the miserly rich man's house.... :thumbsup:

Seriously, they've been like the old phone company. Like Lily Tomlin's Josephine the Operator used to say, "We're THE PHONE COMPANY, we don't have to care." As the dominant os on the planet, they (Bill) didn't feel any need to write anything new. Just keep building add-ons.

They never fix anything until they have to, and they don't seem willing to develop code that doesn't build on the known faulty foundation. It can be done, witness the pressure Linux is starting to put on them.

I know how to build an home environmental system that won't cost and arm and leg to run and out-performs 90% of what's out there, and I do it every time. Won't take the easy path for the quicker buck. Every time I learn a better way to do something, I use it. I have completely changed the entire method of design and install radically from where I started 25 years ago. The basic physics didn't change, I did.

Bill has learned, and knowledge is greater now, but its been cheaper so far to just keep on doing what he has been doing with 'more and better' added each time. A programmable T-stat does not a modern system make...

this is where ethics vs capitalism comes into play...do you release a faulty program just to capitalize on selling the patches/upgrades to the consumer? or do you fix them before it hits the market?

How do you think Bill got rich? lol

#7 Supermart57

Supermart57

• Members
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 09 January 2005 - 03:20 PM

Cows: it seems you had a similar result to me, as I said in the thread I started about Microsoft Antispyware, it found a number of items, mainly relics from delete actions by Spybot and Adaware.

Glad to see you are impressed.

How many of the items it found were complete pieces of Malware or were many of them just orphaned registry keys?
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like his passengers

#8 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2005 - 05:21 PM

I found many items that were indeed full spyware that ad-aware and spybot did not find. They were located in program files so why come Ad-aware or spybot didnt find them I dont know.

I found over 300 registry keys infected........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users