Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

46 Best Utilities

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 biggib

biggib

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:05 AM

alot of you might already know who Gizmo Richards is I subscribe to his letter here is this months letter

http://www.techsupportalert.com/issues/al_...t.htm#Section_0 :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

Hmmm... he wants me to pay him to read his opinions and ways to do things like reset the Windows Adminstrator password?

No thanks. most of that stuff I already know. Reseting the password isn't all that difficult with the right tools, etc.

#3 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:52 AM

A tad hasty Andrew. I don't see that there is any money involved.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:21 AM

I think this is the link biggib intended to post: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best_46_free_utilities.htm

I think I've run into that page before.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:08 AM

This link was posted in the freeware section before and it was questioned whether the poster could vouch for all 46 programs, which remained unanswered. (If I am not mistaken by jgweed who asked the question).

There are some good programs but I stick rather with the freeware list overhere since all of these programs havew been tested by somebody.

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

Best, in his opinion, which some of, I disagree with. :thumbsup:
One in particular caught my eye:

The new generation of malware requires a new generation of defensive products. Such products need to provide stronger active protection and broader spectrum detection. The best anti-spyware programs, WebRoot SpySweeper and Spyware Doctor are both commercial products but there are two capable free products that I can recommend.

The first is Microsoft's Windows Defender program [1] which is currently available as a free beta. Defender is the latest re-incarnation of the excellent Giant Antispyware product that Microsoft purchased late in 2004. Based on my tests, Windows Defender is not as effective as its immediate predecessor but still has solid protective capability.

Not everybody is in agreement about that:

Windows Defender has been slated in a new test that found it could detect barely half of the malware thrown at it during the last year...in full scanning mode the anti-malware scanner could only pick up 53.3 percent of an unspecified list of malware threats thrown at it during 2006, with the quick scan scoring a detection rate of under half...

Windows Defender Fails In New Malware Test

Edited by tg1911, 19 March 2007 - 11:16 AM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:47 AM

I'm now using alot of softwares from here that I never used, nor heard of before... mainly because I trust this site... the main thing.. and secondly, it's mandatory that you have personally experienced using it too.. That says alot of anything I see still posted in the BleepingComputer FREE softwares forum. And I just know, that they verify the softwares here, and if they're not up to par, they will delete it and expose the fact as to why they've done so.

No matter what you choose to use,... that's on you, but BleepingComputer is a computer help center, and this site specializes in computers, and computer accessories. I'm so grateful and thankful for the many, so, so many FREE softwares that this site has provided. And I trust the opinions and results of a software from here.

My opinion?.... if you want to branch off and use other softwares, at least ask someone here on BleepingComputer. They know. There is enough live help here to help you figure out if it's something you want to use or not. And also, the admins, moderators, and many of the members here, I'd trust with taking care of my computers if I asked them to do so and they accepted. I trust them to do the right thing and to know as long as they have it in their possession, the computer is theirs and it will be treated like it's theirs.

What makes me feel so good about how I go about keeping my computer in tip-top shape is the fact that I follow alot of the professionals here, and I not only respect their opinions and experiences on softwares, I trust their software judgments.

I'm using many utilities that I probably would have never used, if it wasn't for BleepingComputer. And I'm so thankful that BleepingComputer has a section for utilities you can download and... and I mean FREE, .. no strings attached utilities.

ohhhh, before I forget,.... it kinda surprised me to be on that site and they don't even have PeerGuardian listed at all. If they knew what I do know... PeerGuardian will do more than 4x what a firewall will do. Oh Well. To each it's own.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users