Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fun With Windows 3.11

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:02 AM

So I was puttering around the internet this morning and I got to thinking about the first time I used Windows.

Windows 3.11, that is. Ah, those were the days, weren't they?

So I did a little looking and found a bit torrent download of the Windows 3.11 installation disk (a whopping 11.3MB :thumbsup: ).

I fired up MS Virtual PC 2007, and (after some finagling and a DOS boot disk) installed Windows 3.11.

As you might imagine, even on a VM, Windows 3.11 was as spry and responsive as a nervous fox on meth after a pot of coffee and a Red Bull when installed on my modern PC. Indeed, it was quite surprised to find itself running on a Celeron D (currently overclocked at 2.94GHz) with a full GB of RAM and a 1GB virtual hard disk. After figuring out how, the installation (along with an installation of MSDOS 6.22) took perhaps 8 minutes!

I have recorded my experience with a few pictures:

Posted Image
Here we see the intial screen after booting the computer. As you old timers will recall, 3.11 did not boot, but had to be called from the DOS prompt!

Posted Image
I change to the Windows directory...

Posted Image
and type the command to summon Windows 3.11!

Posted Image
BEHOLD!!!

Posted Image
The default Windows 3.11 desktop

Posted Image
Solitaire! What PC would be complete without it?

Posted Image
Now this one caught me off guard. Who'd have thunk that we needed an antivirus back in 1993? Seems MS was concerned about security...

Posted Image
And thus ends today's game.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:12 AM

This brings back memories.... Install an OS with floppies.. Which virus, what virus???
The first company with some sort of a network what an American Flagged shipping line.( in 1976)
The server filled an office of about 100m2 for 20 people..

Excellent post AA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users