Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is My Email Hijacked

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 anfield2004

anfield2004

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:02 AM

I have been receiving loads of unwanted email.

the majority are mails that arn't addressed to me but will have some random initials then after the "@" the rest of the email address is the same as mine. They are also coming from mailor-daemon saying that emails could not be delivered, these emails i have not sent and again arn't actually addressed to me.

I have ran ad-aware and spybot. If anyone has any tips that could help me i'd be grateful.

Cheers
David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:49 AM

Welcome to BC. You have come to the right place.

In normal mode, run an online antivirus check from at least two and preferably three of the following sites
BitDefender
Computer Associates Online Virus Scan
Panda's ActiveScan
Trend Micro Housecall
Windows Live Safety Center Free Online Scan
This scanner from Trend does not require an Active X to run.

1. Detects and removes malware ( viruses, worms, trojans, etc. )
2. Detects and removes grayware and spyware
3. Restores damage caused by malware to your system.
4. Notifies about vulnerabilities in installed programs and connected network services.
5. Multi-platform support for: Windows, Linux, Solaris.
6. Easy-to-use with the Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.

Please back the results of the scans. As long as you are not seeing huge volumes of mail going out there is nothing much going Spambots might have picked up your email address and using it.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:42 AM

A lot of spam and malware-carrying E-mail,will pretend to be a mailer-deamon, since ISPs and E-mail providers will not---because they cannot--- distinguish a legitimate from a false mailer-deamon, pretending to return a message that you did not send, and they rely on your curiosity to open their attachments.
If you are reasonably sure you did not send the E-mails, delete the return notice immediately.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users