Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Home Repair Install Not Working

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 zim0n

zim0n

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:15 AM

im trying to repair install my windows xp home, but not working.
when i hit enter, then f8 to agree and then the repair option, i get 2 MORE options, which i have never gotten before, one says "press enter to upgrade" the other one says "press esc for pure installation" and the last one is press f3 to quit, well, i have tried pressing the upgrade option, but after the installation has replaced the files and reboots to continue installatoin, the screen goes black right after the windows xp home logo and precess bar, and never gets further, help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:18 AM

Please run theSystem File Checker. to scan all protected files to verify their versions. If SFC discovers that a critical system file has been damaged, altered or missing, it restores the correct version of the file from the cache folder. You must be logged on as an administrator or as a member of the Administrators group to run sfc and it may ask you to insert your XP Installation CD so have it available.

To use System File Checker:
Go to Start > Run and type: sfc /scannow

Make sure that you include a space between the c and /. This command will initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files, verify their integrity, and replace any problem files.

When you try to run the System File Checker tool (Sfc.exe) on a Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)-based computer, you may be prompted to insert the Windows XP SP2 CD. However, the System File Checker does not accept either the Windows XP SP2 CD or the original Windows XP CD. This problem occurs because the System File Checker must verify the SP2 files against the originally installed files. However, the System File Checker does not recognize the Windows XP SP2 CD or the Windows XP CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/900910

When you use the System File Checker tool (Sfc.exe) on a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition-based computer, you may be prompted to insert one of the following:
CD 1 from the Microsoft Windows XP Professional CD package
The Windows XP Service Pack 1 CD
The Windows XP Service Pack 2 CD

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=897128

#3 zim0n

zim0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:20 AM

nice to get such a good reply, only one thing, i cannot enter my windows, either in safe mode or normal mode, that is the reason i tried to use the repair install in the first place, but nothing has changed, everything is black right after the windows logo and it's process bar, only way to do anything with my files is through the recovery console, also through a bootable floppy disk

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:28 AM

You can run system file checker from the recovery console.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 zim0n

zim0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:32 AM

ok so all i have to do is to place the file somewhere? how do i do that? place it on a floppy or cd?

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 05:41 AM

Type the sfc /scannow command while in the recovery console.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 zim0n

zim0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:01 AM

oh it's a command, i thought i had to download it, oops, thanks ill try it

#8 zim0n

zim0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 04:13 PM

small problem, i can't run it :S it says that there is no such command

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:02 PM

Is this a Microsoft Windows XP Cd or is it the Cd from another company? If it's from another company, which one?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 zim0n

zim0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:12 AM

its the cd that followed along when i got the computer, from medion

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:26 AM

This CD is what is known as a Recovery CD. It will restore your computer to the original factory state, wiping all your data in the process.

If you don't have an XP CD then I think you have two options.

1. Use the Recovery CD to restore your computer. If you have data that you need you should boot your computer using an UBCD and copy the required data off the hard drive.

2. Some computer stores will sell you an XP CD for about 10USD provided you can prove you have a valid product key, which should be on a sticker on your computer case. Either take a photo of the sticker or take your computer to the store. Not all stores will do this so phone around first.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 zim0n

zim0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 03:58 AM

but i have used the repair install before, anyway, can i use an xp pro cd? coz i got that

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:17 AM

but i have used the repair install before

That's unusual, most of these disks will only restore the computer to its original state.

You can use the XP Pro CD provided that your computer has XP Pro on it. I wouldn't use it if your computer has XP Home.

Recovery Console

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 zim0n

zim0n
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:30 AM

this whole thing is very unusual, i used the repair install the last time avg deleted that file, then i got avast instead, but i scanned with another program that delted the file again, so here i am again, but this time the repair don't work as it's suppose to

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,577 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:39 AM

When you said that "last time avg deleted that file", which file are you talking about?

Can you do a Pure Installation or do you have data you need to retrieve?

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users