Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win32:cain-b

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Arshad Parvez

Arshad Parvez

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:20 AM

Hello,

I also have installed Avast antivirus (free version).

I downloaded Cain and Abel for network management. When I tried to install Cain and Abel, Avast gave warning of malware. Following are the main contents of the alert:

Filename: C:\Program Files\Cain\Cain.exe\(UPX)
Malware name: Win32:Cain-B (Tool)
Malware type: Other potentially dangerous program

I have three options: Move/Rename, Delete, Move to Chest

I am also given the option : No Action

Now, I think that it is only a sort of preventive warning so that the program may not be used for bad intentions (knowing that it can also be used for hacking purposes)

Please suggest what should I do?

Thanks

ArshadParvez

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:52 AM

If you trust the software, choose No Action.
Also, add it to Avast's ignore list (I don't know how to do this using Avast), so that Cain & Abel isn't flagged every time you do a virus scan.

oxid.it is not a virii site
Antivirus vendors could have signatures for some of the programs on this site. Cain & Abel v2.0 for example has been classified as a low-risk trojan virus even if the program's features are all documented in the manual.rtf file and Abel (the server component) is completely visible (the blue icon in the system tray). I can assure to you that there are no viruses or hidden features in the programs from my site.Cain & Abel v2.0 does not infect files, it does not send your passwords over the Internet or anything like that....

Cain & Abel Publisher's Site

Cain & Abel 4.5 is a Password Recovery product from oxid.it, get 5 Stars SoftSea Rating, Cain and Abel is a password recovery tool that enables network administrators to test network security, or home users to recover a variety of stored network passwords. The software reports sniffing and recovery of most popular protocols, including FTP, SMTP, POP3, HTTP, mySQL, ICQ, Telnet and others. It can also recover passwords hidden behind asterisk (***), stored in VNC profiles, SQL Server Enterprise Manager, Remote Desktop connections and wireless connections. Other features include LSA Secrets Dumper, Protected Storage password revealer, network enumeration, VoIP filtering and more. Probably one of the most complete network password recovery/security tools you can find. Cain and Abel is intended for network administrators or advanced users. (Expect to be warned of a password cracking tool when installing this software) SoftSea.com had fully tested, reviewed and uploaded the install files, Cain & Abel does not contain any adware or spyware, the latest version is 4.5, you can download this password recovery software (5.88 MB) from special server of SoftSea.com. The license of this antivirus & security software is Freeware, you can free download and free use this Antivirus & Security software.

SoftSea.com
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users