Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

One Of My Drives Has Dissappeared After Reboot!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:38 AM

Something weird happened. I was DL a bunch of bittorents using azereus. My PC was acting funny so rebooted the unit. Upon restart my H drive does not show up in "My Computer". When the PC is rebooted in the bios stage it does recognize 2 HDs. 1 is the smaller drive that runs the PC & the other is my new 250g drive. So I know at least it is working. I went to the disk manager and I can see both drives. The H drive has 232g free space. I don't know what happened & I can't seem to get the PC to recognize the H drive. Any help out there?Thanks!
BTW (PC running win2000)
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:00 AM

When you look at this drive is disk Management does it have a drive letter assigned to it? It could be that it see the drive but has not allocated a drive letter to it. If there is a drive letter assigned try changing the letter to something differen and see if that makes a differance.
Posted Image

#3 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:07 PM

Well I did try that. No luck. Probably did something wrong. I could see the drive in "Disk manager" it was "G" but should have been "H". So I know the system was connected to the HD. I just couldn't get the "H" drive to reappear. I found a forum where a guy suggested a program called partition table doctor 3.0. I got it. I ran it and it seemed to find the "H" drive. I wasn't real sure what I was doing (it was 4am & I was pissed off) I ran a thing called "fixboot". It looked like it was searching for cluster & other things on my HD. After 3 hours it was still running. I quit it and rebooted. I could see the H drive now. But no files were in it. Its a 250gig HD & it says I have 232 free space. But no files are in there. I hope I didn't format the drive. The program definitely DID NOT SAY/Warn me of any data loss. So I'm not sure if all the data (about 130gig cry-cry-cry) is gone forever or not. Any thoughts? Anyway to retrieve data? Would doing "system restore" help? If so how do I do it.
Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 05:49 AM

try using a Hard disk recovery software. There are many noted in the free applications link in one of the other parts to the forum. Link below. Have a look for the recovery software.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Edited by projectfocus, 20 March 2007 - 05:50 AM.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users