Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Consideration

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Shortyaznkid_*

Guest_Shortyaznkid_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:08 AM

I found this hot priced computer deal. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16883107296
but i was really looking for a Windows XP Home Edition OS, but i might buy this computer. Can anyone tell me the Pros and Cons for Windows Vista?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:56 AM

Hi shortyaznkid, I use ultimate and have to say from when I first ran RC2 I was impressed with Vista. Easy to install new interface with many nice features. Down side not impressed with the graphic drivers but new releases will fix any probs, high end processing as I like all the bells a whistles on. looking at what machine specs are listed its a bit on the low side for vista but it will run okay.
MCP
MSDST

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

IMO Vista is a step forward for the Windows family. BUT, it's gonna take time for software writers to catch up with it (and rewrite programs to conform with it's requirements).

Most programs can be forced to work with it - but incompatible drivers are a genuine PITA. I'd suggest checking to ensure that the system has Vista compatible drivers available for it's components. Otherwise, it's gonna be a couple of months before the less common drivers become available (For instance, I don't have Vista drivers/software for my Hauppage PVR-250 TV Card - but Vista installed the XP drivers and I can use Media Center to watch TV (instead of the software that the card comes with)).

I've been using Vista for about 14 months now and it does everything that I ask it to do - albeit with a bit of coaxing.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 01:04 AM

I can echo usasma's posting. I have been running it since the very early Beta's
(Beta tester) and from RC1 took the plunge and no longer have XP on my computer as a backup. I have 37 programs which I crossed over from XP. Only one gave a problem initially. Everything I try works as well as in XP, although in some cases slightly slower. I have a wee graphics problem on an internet games site I visit, but it is rather graphic intensive. Internet response is, I feel, much better.

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 07:12 AM

Hi uhaliqani, your last line is very true, I have found IE7 much quicker under Vista than XP.
MCP
MSDST

#6 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the &quot;Logic Free Zone&quot;, in Md, USA

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:10 AM

Hi shortyaznkid

There are two links in this thread that may help you make your decision showing applications and programs that currently work with Vista.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users