Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless router to access point

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Travis22

Travis22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:58 PM

Here's my situation. I have a wireless netgear router (WGR614 v5) in my bedroom that plugs in to my cable modem and PC via CAT5. I want to put cisco access point (AP340) in living room for xbox, but can't get it to communicate w/netgear router in bedroom unless it is plugged in to netgear via cat5 (then I can ping). As soon as I unplug from netgear, I lose connection to access point. They are in close proximity so distance/walls not a problem. What do I need to do so that I can communicate wirelessly between the two? I have them on the same subnet and using same WEP key and SSID. Netgear is set to allow 802.11 "b and g" connections. I am familiar with wired networks but not much with wireless. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give. :thumbsup:

Travis

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,640 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 15 January 2005 - 06:03 PM

Is there a reason you are choosing a cisco ap? I have had problems in the past getting cisco and linksys working together.

#3 Travis22

Travis22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 PM

Posted 16 January 2005 - 09:37 PM

I am using cisco because I had some spare equipment. I was able to get a cisco bridge to communicate w/my netgear but as soon as I plug in a CAT6 cable, it drops the wireless and acts as a console. I was hoping to use it as a wireless station that I could plug a switch into in my living room for gaming, but for now i decided to run a CAT6 to my back bedroom. that solves the problem and was very cheap (free for me). thanks for the response. I'm good to go for now, just have to run the cable under the house when the weather warms up a bit.
-Trav

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users