Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Sound Card, Re-installing Onboard Sound

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 chopperdave919

chopperdave919

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:16 PM

Hello there,
My problem first started a few days ago. I am on a custom built PC, running Windows XP. I opened up my iTunes to listen to some music, a notification popped up and stated "iTunes has detected a problem with your audio configuration. Audio/Video playback may not operate properly." I went to the control panel and clicked the sounds and audio devices, which displayed that I currently do not have any form of sound. This seemed kind of odd to me considering just a day before that everything was working fine and i was able to play all my music. The sound card that is in my computer is a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. I went to the website and tried to install the drivers to hopefully fix my problem.... this is where the new problem begins. In order to install these drivers, I need the Software CD that came with the sound card. This would not be a problem except for the fact that I am a college student living four and a half hours away from home and have no way of getting the CD. I gave up on trying to install the drivers and getting the sound card fixed because i have no idea what went wrong with it (Already scanned for viruses, spyware, etc). Now all i would like to be able to do is install the on-board sound that is built into the motherboard. I am looking to get a Macbook Pro when I go home in a couple of weeks, so I would just like to have some form of sound on my computer until i get it. If anybody knows how to install the on-board sound, after uninstalling a sound card, please let me know. You will go down in my memory book as "my savior."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:32 PM

If after you remove the sound card the on board audio isn't recognized you may need to enable it in the BIOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 chopperdave919

chopperdave919
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:13 PM

Do I have to completely remove the sound card from my computer? How would I enable it in BIOS?

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:01 PM

After you take out the sound card, just boot up your computer, and it should reinstall the sound card drivers (on board). Also make sure the sound card you are removing is not listed in the Device Manager.

I've had an issue the past week working on someones computer built-in sound card, and you may need this info:

1. Make sure you have the motherboard cd. if not.........
2. Make sure you download the OEM drivers for the sound card. I've tried every source there was for the on-board sound card and everything failed.... until I copied the OEM drivers file from the backup folder (OEM DRIVERS) to the Windows/drivers folder, and the sound worked. It took me a few days to figure this out, but that was the problem. The driver names/files for that sound card may not work..... it may simply be the OEM drivers that are needed.

In other words... look for OEM drivers.... and not just the driver names itself.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:36 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:38 PM

There is a chance you may be able to get your on-board audio back without removing the TB card.
Just right click the card in device manager and select disable.
Reboot your system and enter your bios to double check that the on-board audio is enabled.
If it is and you have no sound, or if windows for some odd reason wants to re-detect the TB card, you'll have to pull it.
The first thing you need to do is go to Add\remove programs and uninstall the software and drivers for it. When you are prompted to reboot, do not. Go to device manager and remove the sound card from there next if listed. Afterwards, do a complete shutdown and remove the card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users