Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing Harddrive. Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 raist2362001

raist2362001

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:52 PM

I have just recently been given a non working computer after finding out that the powersupply was fried I replaced it. However when I hook the hardrive up and start the computer, after going thorugh the warmup and self check it tries to load my harddrive and says to remove disk or media and press any key to restart, it continues tis message until you turn the computer off. NOw a few facts about the compy. I am using a Quantam Fireball CX, a Voodoo 3 Video card, Amd Athalon processery and a cd rom. ( Dont have it reoutfitted yet. :thumbsup: ) The hardrive cirrently has no OS on it. After slaving my the hardrive into my actuall compy and formatting the hardrive it is still doing the same thing. WHAT DO I DO!!!!! if you can help either post here or e-mail me at raist222@mei.net

Thanks for any help that you are able to give me.
"To continue press the any key" *looks around keyboard* "Hey, Wheres the any key."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:57 PM

In my first read of your post, I'm thinking you should edit your email addy by replacing @ with "at" to avoid spam. Technology being wat it is. :thumbsup:

That said, I'll think about the problem some more.
Of course others will too. :trumpet:

The hardrive currently has no OS on it.

The one in it "originally"?

After slaving my the hardrive into my actuall compy and formatting the hardrive it is still doing the same thing.

Which you removed and put into another computer. Right?

Then formatted it using the other computer.

The next step would be to reload the OS onto that freshly reformatted harddrive using the "working" computer.
Then, placing the reformatted & reloaded HD back into the non-op computer & trying your boot sequence.

The POST to BIOS should give you a chance to make sure that the boot sequence is set to boot first to the HD, not the CD-Rom, once you have a working OS on the drive you want in the presently non-op computer,

I think. If I read your post right. :flowers:

That make sense?

Edited by phawgg, 08 January 2005 - 11:08 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 raist2362001

raist2362001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 10:59 PM

Thanks I will keep that in mind. Never really thought about it.
"To continue press the any key" *looks around keyboard* "Hey, Wheres the any key."

#4 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:09 PM

Use the Edit button. You prolly still have time to do that. If not, it can be done later.

BTW, :flowers: to BC, raist. Hope I haven't confused you. :thumbsup:

Edited by phawgg, 08 January 2005 - 11:11 PM.

patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#5 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 08 January 2005 - 11:24 PM

You have to SYS: the drive. Make a bootdisk off of http://www.bootdisk.com and boot with the floppy. Then as long as the hard drive is formatted from the floppy drive type:

sys c:

Then press enter. Wait till its done, remove the floppy and boot to your hard dirve

Phawggs, method works also :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users