Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Roller Coaster Tycoon Has Killed My Video Card I Think?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 lgoulet

lgoulet

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:43 PM

hi, a complete newbie here so if this is a previous thread please send me in the right direction. 1. long time roller coaster tycoon player. i have all the expansion packs loaded. 2. no problems untill a few days ago. 3. monitor goes out at random during game play. 3. power supply wasreplaced a few weeks ago. 430 watts. 4. video card is a radeon x800xt pci. is the problem my card? if so what would be the correct upgrade. i have a radeon x1600 laying around but think it might be an agp model. computer is a 3 year old dell dimension 8400 if this helps at all. please help if you can. i am tired of buying the wrong parts. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:36 PM

i am tired of buying the wrong parts.

I totally know how that goes. I just got done repairing a system on which the CPU was dead, but there were really no symptoms. Up until a couple of days ago, I would have told you that it is likely only three things; motherboard, memory, and video card. After the experiences of my last few weeks, it turns out a defective cpu can cause the problem also... <sigh>.

Anyway, about the only way you are going to diagnose the problem is by swapping out parts. Does the board have built in video? If it does, hook it in to that and see what happens. Yes, I realize that you probably won't be able to play any cool games, but the idea is to isolate the video card as the source of the problem.

When the monitor kicks off, are all of the fans still running?

Gosh, I don't even know where to start with this one...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users