Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"disable" Local Area Connection

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tekchallenged

tekchallenged

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 07:27 PM

Can the "disable" button be used to disconnect the internet connection, or should I just switch off the modem? ("disable" sounds like you're breaking something.... :thumbsup: ) Thanks.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:37 PM

The "Disable" tab is just a software switch that allows or disallows your NIC to function. It comes in handy if you have more than one NIC for your computer and only want one used at a time.
Personally I have had my cable modem on since '97, expect for moving, black outs, and hardware upgrades. Although it is possible I do not feel it needs to be an essential device to be detached either by unplugging the Cat5 or power.
Having your firmware up to date and the router properly configured, along with a software firewall (Not the XP firewall) would be a better approach. Even if you unplug the modem\router\NIC you should consider a software firewall a must have security tool.
There are many suggestion but to answer your question it will not hurt to use the disable tab in Windows according to Microsoft.

Using local area connections

If you disable your local area connection, the connection is no longer automatically activated. Because your hardware profile remembers this, it accommodates your location-based needs as a mobile user. For example, if you travel to a remote sales office and use a separate hardware profile for that location that does not enable your local area connection, you do not waste time waiting for your network adapter to time out. The adapter does not even try to connect.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 tekchallenged

tekchallenged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:32 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:22 AM

Thanks, Acklan.
Feel free to assume that I won't know what you are talking about...

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:24 AM

Glad to help.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users