Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Speeding Up My Laptop?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 nyyanks

nyyanks

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:24 PM

My laptop has Windows XP Home Edition and I have had it for about four years. Anyway I planned on erasing it but it's not happening right now so I am still stuck with slow performance.

I have Spy Sweeper and Mcafee and other programs, so the problem cannot be spyware or viruses, as scans were negative. Also I have decreased startup items and have registry cleaners such as CCleaner and Registry Mechanic.

I have also modified my registry and performance has overall improved. Any more tips for faster performance?
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein
US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:11 PM

How much RAM and hard drive space do you have?
If you have less than 512MBs of RAM that would be one option that can make a big difference. Even if you have 256MB of RAM you memory could be assigned to your graphic adapter by as much as 128mb of RAM. That would leave only 128mb of RAM for XP to operate with. In a word "Ouch!". Check your BIOS to see how much of your RAM is allocated to video.
How much hard drive do you have and how much is free? For windows to function, mainly defrag, you should have at least 15% of your hard drive free. If you have a 10 GB drive 1.5Gb should not ever be used.
What make and model laptop do you have?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:58 PM

Ok according to some info my old laptop has 239 mb of ram (WOW!), 18.28 GB overall, 10.86 GB free, 58 % free space.

However I didn't get what you mean when I have to check my BIOS. What does it mean?

I have an HP Pavilion z1145 its pretty old
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
Albert Einstein

I support this theory and all others from Einstein (even his theory on a static universe)
Not really!

#4 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:06 PM

Look through this.

http://computercleanup.blogspot.com/

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:04 AM

Acklan suggested defragging but you didn't respond to this, have you defragged your hdd? Your hdd stores information in for lack of a better description a hap hazard way which leaves spaces between your contiguous files. These spaces slow down the hdd, defragging the hdd removes these fragmented spaces.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:21 AM

Well what it appears is you have 16mb of video RAM being used by your on board video. You can bring it up to 32 mb of video RAM by way of your BIOS settings.
Good news is you can put up to 1024mb (1 GB) of RAM in that notebook computer. Depending how they have it configured it may be as easy as adding a RAM module. I would not go less than 512mb on an upgrade (768mb total RAM).
You will not believe how much faster it will run. By the time we help you tweak the setting you will have a big smile on your face.
Before I recommend anything else look at the links I have provided and make sure that is your computer.

Main Resource Page for the Pavilion z1145 computer
Main Information Page
Notebook Specs
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#7 nyyanks

nyyanks
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 10:26 AM

Yes this is indeed my computer and yes I have defragmented before and will do it again now.

The whole RAM and BIOS thing confused me slightly; do you want me to add more RAM? And what is increasing from 16 to 32? I am kind of confused.
Albert Einstein

Not really!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users