Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Restarting After Log On

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 lifelonglufc

lifelonglufc

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:55 PM

I have been recently encountering a problem with my computer. After logging on and while the computer is still starting up it will just restart. This happens everytime I log on and start up and I will just have about enough time to write this message before it restarts again.
I have also noticed a lot more background work during start up, if that has anything ot do with it.
Any sort of info or help would be extremely helpful.

Kind Regards.
lll

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:00 PM

Try start-up in safe mode and do a virus scan.

Also that sounds like a driver issue or a program issue, what have you installed lately? Because that program or driver maybe crashing your PC.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 lifelonglufc

lifelonglufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

OK now I just found another problem I cant startup in safe mode!

Am the only recent program I installed was FrostWire

Edited by lifelonglufc, 18 March 2007 - 05:08 PM.

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

By default when Windows XP encounters a system failure, it reboots without warning. The setting that controls this can be changed:
Control Panel/System/Advanced/Settings (Startup & Recovery)/System Failure/Uncheck-Automatically Restart.

You can use Event Viewer to view and manage the event logs, gather information about hardware and software problems, and monitor Windows security events.
To view the event log: Administrative Tools/Event Viewer or Start/Run/eventvwr.
To review Shutdown Event Tracker data, Open Event Viewer. Click System Log, scroll to the Event column, and find entries with the number 1075.

How To:View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 lifelonglufc

lifelonglufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:32 PM

computer has now restarted 3 times in the last hour! i am getting very close to a hard drive format? plz help

#6 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:41 PM

Could be a heat related problem -

have you checked to see if all the fans are running?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:44 PM

Uh,

the program you recently installed, Frostwire, appears to be a file sharing program, and could be causing problems, too.

Are you able to uninstall it?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:05 PM

That is a good question, how many fans are in your case and what is the room temperature of the room you are using the computer in? Because I have found that if the room the computer is in becomes to hot my laptop crashes because of overheating.

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 18 March 2007 - 06:06 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

With the rapid restarts and a file sharing program - it's likely that you're infected. Since you can't keep the computer running long enough to do anything I'd suggest slaving it to another system and running an AV scan from that system. If that doesn't work, then a format and reinstall is the next likely step.

If you have significant technical expertise, you can try booting from a PE disk or an UBCD and try running some of the antivirus utilities from it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 lifelonglufc

lifelonglufc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 05:09 PM

Thank You everybody for you replies, and after many different "solutions" tried and failed, and after checking out the fan(it was OK),I finally gave into formatting and reinstalling the whole lot!
End result seems to be no more problems for me and a much snappier and happier computer, so its not all that bad!

Thanks again for all the help!
lll

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users