Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Login/logoff Cycle

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rkellum

rkellum

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:38 PM

Computer boots up to log on screen. I can choose either my user account or Administrator. It goes through the log on process then immediately goes through the log off process.Similar problem as a Gary posted Mar 4 with the exception that it occurs in safe mode as well.

The problem started at reboot after disabling userinit.exe in the autoruns program. Userinit is listed on the Logon tab as in HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Userinit.

I interpreted the Startup List explanation as that item not being the "keeper" because it wasn't listed as Auserinit ( the "keeper" item in the Startup List).

DELL Inspiron 9300 XP Media Center

Am I SOL? At least can I save my data?

Thanks,

Richard

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:51 PM

You can save your data my placing the hdd in another computer and taking all your data off of it that way; but first scan the hdd for viruses.

Try repair Windows using your Windows Disc.

Boot up from your disc and follow the instructions on your screen.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#3 rkellum

rkellum
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:39 PM

Thank you for your input.
With windows pre-installed, I have just a "reinstallation" DVD. It won't boot from it. I did change the setup to first boot from cd/dvd then HHD. Might an actual Windows CD work?

#4 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:49 PM

That DVD you mentioned should work too. Check it out and see, just remember to read everything that comes up on your screen.

Edited by ComputerWhizz7, 18 March 2007 - 06:56 PM.

I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:12 PM

I'd suggest putting the userinit back into the registry key. Unfortunately, it'll take some specialized tools and techniques to do this if you're unable to access Windows.

Regardless, save your data by slaving the drive to a working computer and copying it off the old HD. Then you can start working on trying to recover from this (or just bite the bullet and reinstall).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users