Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I Boost My Wireless Network Connection?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 proton

proton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:28 PM

hi
i run a caravan site and i have recently instaled a BT BUSINESS HUB 2700HGV for my house but i have a chap tht has a laptop for when he stays at his mobile home (which is pitched up about 50 feet away from my house) he wants to connect up to the wireless internet but the signal is touch and go and i was wondering if their was a way of boosting the wireless strength so that the chap (and many others close by) can connect up with a good signal?
many thanks
matty

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:03 AM

This can only be achieved by either adding a more powerfull aerial to the wireless router or to use a wireless repeater. This acts as like another wireless tranmitter that can be loacted closer to the other users to add greater range.
Try a more powerful aerial first as these are cheap from ebay and the like and they will add as much as 6 to 9db. Sometimes even more than that.
Posted Image

#3 proton

proton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 11:57 AM

hi projectfocus thanks for your reply but my router doesnt have an external aerial it only has an internal aerial so i dont think i can put one on my router and the chaps laptop has wireless built in to it so i dont think he can put one on but please corect me if im wrong and could you please tell me more about the "wireless repeater" can any "wireless repeater" be used with any wireless router or does it have to be a perticular one for th router and laptop?
many thanks
matty

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 06:13 AM

Here is a example

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BELKIN-Wireless-G-Ra...1QQcmdZViewItem

but try any wireless range extenders. Google search will bring up a few options.
Posted Image

#5 proton

proton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 10 April 2007 - 04:58 AM

hi
the chap with his laptop came down to my caravan park this week and he was testing where he could get a signal and he found when he stood outside of his caravan he had a good signal but as soon as he went in to his caravan it disconected and could not be found! so he was wondering if it could be the caravans alaminium shell that was sheilding the signal so that he can not access the connection?
if this is true would it help if he got a "D-LINK DWL-G122 WIRELESS 54G USB ADAPTER" (or simlar) and stuck it outside of his window would that then enable him to access my connection in his caravan?
sombody please reply many thanks
matty

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users