Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"no Signal" Displayed On Monitor.

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jlovell

jlovell

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 03:09 PM

I am able to boot up my computer, browse the internet and everything and have no trouble, but the problems come forth when I am loading a lot of things (such as myspace pages with a lot of pictures, movies, etc) and games.

I can play games like Counter-Strike just fine (every once in a while, it will give me no signal error) When I load up World of Warcraft, right after I log in it will give me a No Signal error. I know my computer is working, because if I'm listening to music the music will continue.

My specs are:

ASUS K8V MOBO
450watt power supply
nVidia 6800XT 256mb video card (AGP)
I am running my monitor at 1400x900 resolution. Optiquest Q19WB 19" Widescreen monitor.

Any help is appreciated.

Also I'm pretty sure it's not a video card problem, i've tried it in different machines.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:46 PM

Just a thought, try and run your PC at a lower resolution, say 1024 x 768 (yeah a huge difference for you but worth a try).
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 04:54 PM

You must be careful with screen resolution because if it is to high for the monitor it will not pick up anything from the computer because it is outside of what it can handle. Also check your screen refresh rate, that maybe to high.
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#4 jlovell

jlovell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 05:22 PM

Just a thought, try and run your PC at a lower resolution, say 1024 x 768 (yeah a huge difference for you but worth a try).

I believe running it at lower resolution does make it work. I originally ran it at 1440x900 and now at 1024x768 it works. What is the reason? How can I fix it so I can run it at 1440x900?

#5 ComputerWhizz7

ComputerWhizz7

• Members
  • 408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 06:16 PM

You can't 'fix' it. The monitor will only go to it's max resolution. To find out what that is google search your monitor and find out what the max resolution and max refresh rate is so then you can set it to that if you wish. :thumbsup:
I came, I saw, I conquered. - Julius Caeser

#6 jlovell

jlovell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:35 PM

^^^^
My monitors max resolution is 1440x900, with a refresh rate of 60hz. I am able to play games such as World of Warcraft perfectly fine in 1024x768, but if I even think of changing my resolution to 1440x900, the screen will flicker, give me a no signal message and just turn black.

What I'm trying to do is I don't see why it won't let me play anything at 1440x900. My friend has the same monitor and it lets him play it perfectly. I'm not really sure where to go from here. New Video Card? New Monitor? Uggghh... :thumbsup: :flowers:

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:39 PM

Does your friend have the exact same video card that you do?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 jlovell

jlovell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:45 PM

No he does not, mine is actually better in fact.

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 21 March 2007 - 09:06 AM.

#9 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:47 PM

Hey there jlovell,

Mate, that graphics card will run at 1440 x 900. That is a fairly standard widescreen resolution, and additionally, Viewsonic are a pretty reputable builder of LCDs.

Have you tried to load the monitor drivers which came with the LCD? If you have lost the disk, you can download them from Viewsonics page here.

When you are setting you resolution & refresh rate, make sure you set them both in the windows display properties, and also in whatever version of nVidia display properties you might have. For example I have to set my res in nTune using a custom timing, and then go and match it in the windows display properties to make it work correctly...

If worse comes to worse, you can always go to the nVidia Forums - there is very likely someone there who has also experienced your problem, possibly in the General Hardware section....

Good Luck! Let us know how you go :thumbsup:
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#10 jlovell

jlovell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

^^^^

Thanks for the response.

I downloaded the monitor drivers, installed them successfully, made sure the refresh rate and resolution was correct in both the video card settings and the display properties.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting the problem. I will post the original post on the NVIDIA forums as well as reply to the responses here if anyone has any other suggestions.

#11 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 20 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

Another tip, with the resoloution at a lower rate the game will run faster too.

IMHO, if the game works at a lower rate I would stick to playing it at that, at least it works, you don't have to pay out for additional hardware plus it will run faster!

At least it's not running at 640 x 480!

Edited by FireKracker, 20 March 2007 - 04:45 PM.

Posted Image

#12 jlovell

jlovell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 06:23 AM

My games are crashing even at 1024x768 now. I'm starting to think it's not even related to resolution anymore.

Mod Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 21 March 2007 - 09:07 AM.

#13 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 21 March 2007 - 07:47 AM

Is you computer stable before you play games? If so then I guess its the games that are causing you grief. In that case I would visit the support pages of the games developers and look to see if there are any patches or workarounds.

Also as JPHarvey said, visit the Nvidia forums too.
Posted Image

#14 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:09 AM

jlovell,
When replying to a post, don't use the Quote button under the post, unless there is something specifically in the post, that you want to quote.
Either use the button at the top of the page labeled Add Reply, or use one of the 2 buttons at the bottom of the page labeled Fast Reply, and Add Reply.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#15 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 PM

Posted 21 March 2007 - 09:14 AM

Why not try your friends monitor on your PC if that fails we now that it is your PC which is having issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users