Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another System32.dll Marked "changed" In Avg Free Question :)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:12 PM

So, like others have posted, I noticed that when I ran my AVG full system scan on Feb. 22, it showed that C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll was "changed". When I previously ran my system scan on Feb. 8, that did not show up. So it seems the answer is that a Windows hotfix between those two dates changed the file (I believe I did a Windows Update between those two dates).

However, when I look at the shell32.dll file, it says that the file was last modified on Tuesday, December 19, 2006, 2:52:18 PM. So why wouldn't the file have a date between Feb. 8 and Feb. 22 for it being changed, since it didn't show up as changed when I scanned on Feb. 8 but did so when I scanned on Feb. 22 (and still does -- which I know you can make it so it doesn't show up any more).

I wanted to make sure this wasn't indicative of a problem...

Any help is appreciated -- thanks! :thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 12:24 PM

rdsok, Moderator at AVG Forum says in regards to shell32.dll showing as changed:

It is normal that AVG shows that files, the MBR or Boot record to have changed. These are done during normal maintainance, when you or windows updates files or have had to correct errors on the drive. The only time that you should worry is if they also show as infected.

To get AVG to quit showing them as changed, open the AVG Test Center, click the F3 key on your keyboard and tell it to accept the changes. If it still shows something as changed after this.. delete the file named AVG7QT.DAT in C:\ and AVG will rebuild it the next time it is run.

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php...3,backpage=,sv=
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:24 PM

rdsok, Moderator at AVG Forum says in regards to shell32.dll showing as changed:

It is normal that AVG shows that files, the MBR or Boot record to have changed. These are done during normal maintainance, when you or windows updates files or have had to correct errors on the drive. The only time that you should worry is if they also show as infected.

To get AVG to quit showing them as changed, open the AVG Test Center, click the F3 key on your keyboard and tell it to accept the changes. If it still shows something as changed after this.. delete the file named AVG7QT.DAT in C:\ and AVG will rebuild it the next time it is run.

http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php...3,backpage=,sv=

Thanks for the post! I actually already saw that post, but the thing I was wondering about is the fact that when I look at the shell32.dll file, it says that the file was last modified on Tuesday, December 19, 2006, 2:52:18 PM. But if it was updated (i.e. "changed") by a MS update that was done after Feb. 22, 2007, then should the last modified date for the file say some date after Feb. 22, 2007 and not Dec. 19, 2006? The file didn't show as changed prior to Feb. 22 (because it didn't show up in my AVG scan I did prior to that). Do you know what I mean?

Thanks!
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users