Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Defrag At Boot

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:08 PM

Hello all,

I am having a problem that is making me absolutely crazy! Each and every time that I try to invoke a “Defrag at reboot” command, my system totally crashes. I mean it crashes to the point where I must use my disc imaging software to entirely restore my drive.

I have absolutely no viruses, adware or spyware. My system operates flawlessly except for this problem. The trouble is, because it takes about two (2) hours to restore my system each time, I am afraid to attempt too many repairs. Is there a way to see what is causing this problem BEFORE I crash my drive again?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

George

I am running Windows XP Home with all the latest updates. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:29 PM

I am not sure that defragging at boot, or at least every time your computer boots, is necessary or even a Good Thing. Are you using the Windows defrag application, or another, and how precisely are you scheduling the defrag?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hello John,

First, thank you so much for your reply.

I very seldom defrag at boot, but I do defrag my actual drive about every six months or so using both the Windows defrag software, as well as Raxco Perfect Disc 8. As both programs suggested a defrag at boot, I then attempted it. That is how I discovered the problem.

All I can tell you is that at boot, I receive the “blue screen of death,” followed by a Windows message stating (don’t quote me) that Windows has been halted to avoid damaging my computer. The message ends with a large amount of “numbers” telling me of the error, but I can’t remember what they are. I believe they end in 0050.

Any suggestions at all? :thumbsup:

George

#4 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 12:54 PM

By the way . . . I live in Chicago, too. :thumbsup:

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:11 PM

I suggest you not use any 3rd party Defrag tools, with Windows XP.
Basically, all defrag utilities use different algorithms to decide what is fragmented, and what order things should be in.
Some may sort by name.
Some sort by date installed.
Some sort by frequency of use.
Some sort by type of file.
Some sort by multiple criteria.

In Win 9x / ME, this wasn't too much of a problem.
If you ran one of these alternative defrag tools, it didn't matter, so long as you didn't run Windows defrag, since in these versions of Windows, defrag only runs when you tell it to.

In XP , they changed from a defrag based on Norton products, to one based on Executive Software Diskeeper.
It's part of the overall windows XP disk management, and is integrated into the OS.
In fact, it runs continuously in the background, attempting to minimize fragmentation.
Some of these third party defrag utilities will pause it, so they can mess up your drive.
Then when you restart, everytime your drive is idle for a minute or two, you will see massive access to the harddrive, as windows frantically tries to put things back where it wants them.

Just my 2¢

Edited by tg1911, 18 March 2007 - 01:13 PM.

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 MalwareMutilator

MalwareMutilator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 931 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 01:15 PM

Hello again to all,

I really hate to become a nuisance, but I feel I should tell you one more thing that seems to be important. The actual “defrag” process (disc defrag) works perfectly with both programs. The system crash ONLY occurs utilizing the “defrag at boot” option.

I have contacted Raxco about this, but they basically blew me off. Their comment was “Raxco moves everything during a defrag. It is up to the software manufacturer to warn of programs which should not be moved during a disc defragment.”

George

#7 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hello John,

First, thank you so much for your reply.

I very seldom defrag at boot, but I do defrag my actual drive about every six months or so using both the Windows defrag software, as well as Raxco Perfect Disc 8. As both programs suggested a defrag at boot, I then attempted it. That is how I discovered the problem.

All I can tell you is that at boot, I receive the "blue screen of death," followed by a Windows message stating (don't quote me) that Windows has been halted to avoid damaging my computer. The message ends with a large amount of "numbers" telling me of the error, but I can't remember what they are. I believe they end in 0050.

Any suggestions at all? :thumbsup:

George

I'm with John (well, what would you expect?) -

How are you enabling the "defrag at boot" operation?

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2007 - 02:46 PM

I think it would help if you can try the boot defrag process, and provide the EXACT error message on the BSOD. This information might help to figure out the cause of the problem.
However, to be honest, if the defrag works all other times, I would not stay up all night worrying about it. And I tend to agree that one should stick to ONE defrag utility, rather than subject your hard drive to several different algorithms by different sources.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#9 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 19 March 2007 - 01:20 AM

I would recommend that you run some diagnostic tests on your hard drive to make sure you don't have any disk errors, bad sectors etc.

Top 5 Free Hard Drive Diagnostic Tools
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 19 March 2007 - 07:18 PM

In addition to all the excellent advice here, I'd try downloading a free diagnostic utility from the maker of your hard drive and running the test to check the status of your drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users