Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is It An Infection?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bill947

bill947

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:16 AM

Hello,
About a week ago my wife noticed the a significant decrease in speed when making simple changes in her word documents. About the same time Spy Sweeper was giving errors that it couldn't load. Three days ago, the inbox of the email was empty. Today upon startup I received a savedump.exe error, with a failed to start because "dbgeng.dll" was not found. If I click OK, the desk top appears to load but I receive a missing "wrid.dll" and I need to re-install the application. Unfortunately, I cannot re-install anything. If I click on any desktop icon, after many minutes, I get an error which causes a restart and then I am back at the savedump.exe screen. I assume the system is infected but with what? What are my next steps?
Your help is appreciated,
Bill947

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:28 AM

Your next steps are to try an antivirus of some sort. There are a few good free ones. I prefer Anti-Vir, but others prefer AVG.

Have you started here?:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/44694/slow-computer/

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/920964
CAUSE
This issue occurs because the Dbgeng.dll file does not load correctly.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, download and install the latest version of the Debug Diagnostics tool. To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.iis.net/handlers/895/ItemPermaLink.ashx
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is wrid.dll?
wrid.dll has a file size of 167,424 bytes, and is most commonly found under the directory "Spy Sweeper" with a creation date of December 9, 2005. This is not a known spyware, adware, or trojan component.

I would try to uninstall Spysweeper or at least stop it from loading at startup. See if that allows you to run other scans.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 11:14 AM

But before I do that, I would follow the instructions in the link that I gave you so that you can find all potential problems at once instead of screwing around with one at a time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users