Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Screen Freezes (unable To Pinpoint Problem)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Murasame

Murasame

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 08:21 AM

Hi all,
I got a frustrating problem that I cannot solve despite resorting to all methods at hand and probably need some major help in fixing this problem.

I posted before in this forum that I'm unable to run an online game while using my notebook computer. After some checks, it appeared to be problems with the kernel that resulted being the problem so I left at it because there's no reply on eradicating the problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/84107/blue-screen-of-death-upon-launching-game/

Now I've got this brand new problem with the desktop I recently bought from a shop that is assembled at a computer shop. I was hoping a brand new desktop could solve all my gaming woes but apparently it didnt.

1) The hardware of the desktop is all brand new and assembled by the technician at the computer shop so I assumed they should be compatible.

2) I installed 9Dragons and Cabal online and the installation and patching is successful. I can launch the game and play them. However, after some time, the screen will freeze and the computer will be 'immobilised'. The only way is to press the reset button by switching off the computer and on it again. In the case of Warcraft 3, it will take longer time for the freeze. The time taken for the freeze is approximately 10 to 30 minutes.

3) I brought the computer back to the shop and the technician tested it. Apparently, he tested some games and they seem to work fine, no screen freezes. However, he suggested its best to put in more ram and change a better power supply. I took his suggestion and upgraded my ram from 512Mb to 1024Mb. The rams are compatible.

4) I tried running both 9Dragons and Cabal online and the freezing set in again. This time it only took longer before the system freezes.

5) The system will not freeze when I surf the net or watch videos from youtube. Only when playing the games mentioned above. I've updated the latest patches for windows.

Maybe its the 2 online games' incompatibility however, the desktop my brother is using can play both with no problems. I'm not sure whether it could be the router that's causing the problems. I've updated the firmware to the latest version.

Finally, I thank in advance who take the patience and time to read through my long post.
Thank you

Frustrated computer user

Specs:
MS Windows XP professional SP 2
Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz
1.00 GB of RAM
VGA: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
network adapter: Marvell Yukon Gigabit Ethernet 10/100/1000Base-T Adapter, Copper RJ-45
(will provide more information if requested)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 18 March 2007 - 10:05 AM

Since the problem exists with both the laptop and desktop - I'd suspect that it was a problem with the game or with the game servers that are being used.

I'd suggest looking at the forums that talk about these games and seeing if any other have similar problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Murasame

Murasame
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:32 AM

I think I finally found out what is the problem to it. Yesterday, I updated my BIOS version and everything seems to fall in place.

Normally when I play for 10 to 30 minutes the screen will freeze. However, when I tried yesterday, I played for 2 hours and nothing happened.

Hopefully I hope I have resolved the issue and my post can shed some light to some who have the same problem as me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users